Beginner struggles : music , venues , and misc

Default Beginner struggles : music , venues , and misc

Hi guys,

My name is Evan and I'm very new to djing, as of right now I own an midi fighter spectra and a numark mixtrack.
    My biggest problems right now are finding good music, improving my technique , and finding a place to start out.

I'm in college right now and it seems like I cant get a handle on where everyone is finding this great house or trap music. but I'm not sure where to find and download this stuff. where are some good site where I can build my music collection?

currently the biggest problem I'm having with my technique is the fact that I cant seem to mix two song together
    well enough to make it a good fit. also , when are good times to use effects, how do I figure out when to switch song and how do I get a good build up from one song and then play the drop on another?

Everywhere that I've tried to dj at I always either get shot down after a song, or I never get the chance to test out my music. what should I do?

If there is someone out there that can help me on my path to greatness, please........ I'm in desperate need of help.

Tech Guru

Beatport.com

Rather surprising that you get shot down after just one song. I'd have to say you must be doing something incredibly wrong to get kicked off that quickly. Post up a mix!

Where are you mainly DJing? Frats?

I'm a college student myself and I can tell you girls won't be responsive or dance to house music. They want either hip hop or top 40.

Tech Mentor

which city do you live in?

dont play out until you are good. I personally use the Explore function on Soundcloud and just download artists i like from beatport or juno. try Hypemachine. try various music blogs - just google them. Also dont expect to build you library in a week. Ive tried. It sucks at the end - because you pay little attention to what you truly like. I am lucky i can listen to music at work so I hear TON of songs and i favourite 1-2 a day that reaally caught my attention.

In terms of technique - watch youtube videos, read more, ask for help if oyu have friend dj. Its very hard to help when you are very new because there are 19032904 topics to cover. spend next few months doing it yourself and in the process if you have concrete questions it would be much easier for people to address them rather than asking to teach you how to dj in one post.

try djing at home for yourself first. record and listen. find the errors and compare your mixes to your favorite djs.

edit: learning your songs. knowing the fundamentals of house music or any other music.
    for instance, house music is based around 4 bars. if you dont understand that then you should watch some tutorials.

you should already know by now, we live in a digital internet age. all your answers can be found via youtube and google search.
    theres countless and millions of videos out there that will show you the basic of mixing, using effects, to anything about djing.

take the time to do that before you decide to dj another party cause getting kicked off is pretty discouraging. or better yet, watch how the other djs before you or after do it.
    Last edited by sicnarf033; 03-25-2013 at 01:21 PM.

Tech Guru

Debatable.

People here are big on House music. Hip hop is dying.

Quote Originally Posted by SlvrDragon50 View Post
    Debatable.

People here are big on House music. Hip hop is dying.
    Debatable! It depends on the event/ setting. If you are throwing a house party or event for college you want music that people would be able to feel while on drugs and alcohol. Haha. I'd suggest something heavy and dirty if the event is announced as a "rager". If it is announced as a beer pong and bong chillin on the couch with the friends homies (a smaller turnout) whatever you call them I'd suggest
    Hip hop or trap music. Just try to fill the needs of the majority of the turnout.
    Macbook 13" 4 gb ram, traktor pro 2.6, kontrol x1, Kontrol z2, kontrol f1, midi fighter spectra, midi fighter 3d,
    Text, let's talk about edm or mixing! 831-801-1774

best thing i can recommend is youtube tutorials, i learned the fundamentals of djing years ago from watching brianSredd tutorials. Check out djtutor.com there are so many good resources. But the greatest resource is practicing, keep sounding like shit for a few more weeks but if you are REALLY practicing you just get better naturally.