Soundpack. I am making one.

Default Soundpack. I am making one.

Sup.

I'm putting together a soundpack for you guys. I am making all the sounds from scratch in Sytrus. I am making said soundpack velocity sensitive as well. since it's sytrus I've been mapping mod amount to velocity for some interesting effects. When I release it I will do a minimum and maximum velocity wave of each sample, and will release the sytrus presets for anyone who has it, Either in FL or as a vst.

It's not finished and it's a WIP but I am posting because I would like some comments, criticism, and suggestions.

I am aiming for having some really harsh and distorted sounds and some softer FM sounds. What i've made into a hat is also a sort of metallic screeching sound, so a lot of it is multipurpose.

Sooo... here's where it's at right now

I'm undecided on alot of this stuff, It's still pretty early on I've probably spent *maybe* 3 hours on this. I'm a bit unsure about some stuff though... Like the bass notes, they've got a sort of vocal formant-y thing goin on (its subtle) and it starts to get kinda screachy he longer you play it. But right now it's just a totally 'dry' sound, and I don't know if each note (as a sound pack) should have some other sound layered at the start of it, or if I should leave them as dry notes. I'm aiming for 16 sounds but right now I've got 10, and I'm not sure what to do for the other sounds... Piano? plucks? weird lazer noises? some sort of scratch-like sound? more drums? a pad? weird FM Formant noises? I'm sort of leaning away from drum-fills because those are one BPM and I wouldn't want anyone who's stuck with .wavs to have to stretch them, and I'm trying to *only* use sytrus on these.

Anyway, if you have any suggestions for new sounds, or suggestions on changes to existing sounds, it would be very appreciated, and with luck this pack will be ready in a few days... a week at worst.
    Last edited by Milest3hr4t; 03-21-2013 at 02:05 PM. Reason: Should have probably made that embeded rather than just a link.

I think it would be a good idea to start a convention for sound packs. (Bear with me - I don't have Traktor so I might be completely wrong..)

16 slots per Remix deck? Arranged in rows of 4? 1 sample playable from each column at a time? (Like Ableton?)

So why not have slots:

1, 5, 9, 13: Drum Loops (4 bars?)
    2, 6, 10, 14: 1 hits
    3, 7, 11, 15: Vocals
    4, 8, 12, 16: FX

That way, you could open up and play any sound pack like an instrument, without listening to it/learning it first.

I like standard conventions!
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    I think it would be a good idea to start a convention for sound packs.
    16 slots per Remix deck? Arranged in rows of 4? 1 sample playable from each column at a time? (Like Ableton?)

So why not have slots:

1, 5, 9, 13: Drum Loops (4 bars?)
    2, 6, 10, 14: 1 hits
    3, 7, 11, 15: Vocals
    4, 8, 12, 16: FX

That way, you could open up and play any sound pack like an instrument, without listening to it/learning it first.

I like standard conventions!
    I also enjoy having standard conventions for things, and i'm actually modeling how this pack is set up after the way that mad zach does his packs, at least as far as drums are concerned. meaning not drum loops, but each drum sample.

The way it's looking right now is

(empty) (empty) (empty) (empty)
    (Bass E)(bass G#)(bass B)(Bass D#)
    (L.Tom) (M.Tom) (H.Tom) (Empty)
    (kick) (hat/screech)(snare)(Empty)

(I didn't actually plan on making 3 toms, but they just sounded good, especially since I was trying to make a clap XD)

The way zachs packs seem to be (from the 2 I have) where I have mid-tom is where the hat *would* go, but with 3 toms and 4 bass notes, I don't really know how to arrange them... I could always put the bass vertically on the right, but that seems so... unnatural. I'm kinda looking at it as the bottom left 6 pads are one hand for drums and the rest are for the other hand to play much more sparingly.

But honestly I'm not even thinking about what sound is for what pad yet. I'm trying to just make enough sounds *for* the pads. I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

Good point - there would be MORE THAN ONE convention.

It sounds like yours is a construction kit, for making a tun on the fly from parts in the soundpack (Construction Pack?). The type I was describing would be a completely different type of soundpack (Remix Pack?). Another type could be just acapellas. Lines, samples, words, etc.. (Acapella Pack?)

Each type would have it's own convention... Interesting stuff.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

I lay out the convention I use in a lot of my videos, also if you just open up one of the packs its all there.
    in the lab while you sleep making dreams that go bleep

soundcloud.com/mad-zach
    follow me @madzach1
    http://www.madzach.com