I want my sound to be FAT not FLAT..... - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Tech Mentor

Hey,

Changing the drivers to Asio 4 All should only give you a lower latency (maybe)... Maybe you should try some wav files just to check if it sounds way better ...
    I use 320Kbps mp3, I play techno so there isn't all does pristine vocals and stuff, that doesn't mean I don't care about sound quality, I just know that 99% of the clubs / events you don't really hear much difference at all . Like said on other topics most venues overcook on the PA protection so even if you're being careful with the venue's mixer levels they're already shaving off a few dbs of dynamic and definition.

Most software (unlike some of you have mentioned) have really precise meters ... on the hardware realm you'd have to really fork out a hell of a lot of $ to get much better that what you find on say Soundforge/ wavelab/ Live/ Cubase/ etc...

What happens in most cases is that to consider a clip as a clip (and show the red CLIP badge) it needs to have a certain amount of hits for a pre-defined small fraction of a millis. This amount of time and amount of hits varies from software to software...

So you might have a clip in wavelab and not in soundforge .

Meters should represent dbfs (Full Scale aka "full accuracy")...

TKS Metering prob... I guess the Limit is working on a sort of soft knee setting, or something like the adaptive limiter on Logic... so Instead of a fixed Threshold for the onset of Limiting you get a variable one that kinda tracks the speed of the volume change thus applying distinct amounts of limiting... more limiting when needed, less when not needed...
    Coming to think of it, it makes perfect sense as clipping sounds very harsh (digital) so you should in fact get the levels right a little before so that it doesn't hit the clip button so much...

I Stick with turn that auto-level/ Lim rule of mine... but if you are going to us'em just think of our last green Led as if it was the red ! It's just a matter of doing so and you should be fine... The only down side to this is that the out level of yer soundcard will be a little on the low side, so you might need to crank up the club's mixer channel gain and that always brings a little noise with it ... mostly noticeable on breakdowns (less level to mask the noise).

Hope this helps,

Z

Tech Guru

I think this would make a really good blog article topic... As most of us djtt'ers are Traktor users it would be helpful to all of us.

I would like to see a concise write up about different methods on how to beef up a dry output without compromising overall sound quality. Not to detract from people's advice in this thread, but so far all I've seen is vague comments like " add this and that, but don't over do it" which really doesn't help people who don't already understand the concept on a working basis.

Good idea???
    Last edited by wrong chris; 08-28-2009 at 05:06 PM.

Tech Wizard

Great idea duerr! I'm thinking about dl-ing the Ableton 8 demo and seeing if its effects can add some thump to Traktor's sound.
    13.3" Macbook Aluminum
    Novation Nio Audio Interface
    Novation Remote SL Zero
    M-Audio X-Session Pro
    Traktor Duo

I am going to play out on the 25th same place I was wondering if there is anyway we could compile a check list ... that I could use to check on the day ????

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123