Monitor Knob Component Repair

Default Monitor Knob Component Repair

I don't know if this is the right place to post this or not...

First off I am using Behringer MS20 Monitors

I was at a show, performing a few days ago. I had my laptop, and monitors, back stage, working on some music, and my gear was setup, on top of a huge cable bin/box... I went to move the bin over a bit, to get it closer to the wall, cause the plug had a lot of tension, and the wire some how got caught, and pulled the right monitor off... Which is the one, with the power unit inside... I didn't know the monitor was damaged, until I got back to my hotel room, and I noticed the Line 2 Knob, was pushed in, so I took a swiss army knife, and pulled the knob back out... Fortunately the actual monitor isn't ruined, because Line 1, which is 1/8" out, works, but the RCA out, which is Line 2, works, but I get a really staticy, crackly, distortion, cutting audio sound, when I play any audio... I am pretty sure, when the knob pushed in, that it ripped some sort of component, connecting the knob, to the actual monitor board... I am sure this isn't a really expensive replacement, cause one of the guys @ the show said, I just needed to solder back on the component that got ripped...

Thanks,

hope someone can give me some guidance, on what component, I need to purchase....

Tech Guru

If you just need to solder back on the component, then technically you don't have to purchase anything?

Unless you lost it.

Quote Originally Posted by SlvrDragon50 View Post
    If you just need to solder back on the component, then technically you don't have to purchase anything?

Unless you lost it.
    Yes technically, since there is still sound coming from Line 2, even though it's crackly sounding... I presume, all I need to do, is solder it back to the points... But in the case, of having to get a new component, what type would I need?

Thanks

Tech Guru

I dunno. You have the component so you'd know best what part you need. You could probably go to an AV store and see if they can get you just that component.

But all you need to do is just resolder the joint. If that doesn't work, replace the component.

I dunno. You have the component so you'd know best what part you need. You could probably go to an AV store and see if they can get you just that component.

But all you need to do is just resolder the joint. If that doesn't work, replace the component.
    I don't have the proper size Hex Key, so Ima have to go over to Home Depot, or some place, later today... Wonder if Radio Shack, can open it up for me...
    Last edited by SMOR3S; 03-27-2013 at 02:13 AM.

Tech Guru

I wouldn't trust the people at Radio shack to touch your electronics.

Definitely do it yourself.

I wouldn't trust the people at Radio shack to touch your electronics.

Definitely do it yourself.
    I'll hop on over to Home Depot, tomorrow, and pick up a hex key... *fingers crossed* that the connection just needs a re-solder... I don't have a solder gun or flux, but I am sure my neighbor does...

*note taken* As bad as you want to work on music, at shows... Don't take the only monitors you have... I am just so glad they aren't completely ruined :/

Tech Guru

If you don't plan on resoldering a ton, you can just buy one from Home depot for about 10 bucks.

Chances are, the soldering iron your neighbor has won't be one of the very nice Hakko or Wellers (80+ dollars).