Help needed to validate an app idea - favorite song request from clubbers
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Help needed to validate an app idea - favorite song request from clubbers

Hi guys

I'm an entreprenur looking to start work on an app that would let patrons in a nightclub/lounge request their favourite song to the DJ. The requests would show up on a webpage that the DJ can look at to find out the most demanded song and use it to choose which song he/she can play next. Atleast this is how the app would work in theory. I'm just starting my research trying to identify the potential pitfall/practical problems with this idea.

Do you think this would be a good idea to implement based on your experience? Love to hear your thoughts on the potential pitfalls/benefits for this idea.

Looking forward to your thoughts. I really appreciate your time guys.

Thanks.

Tech Guru

Do people actually still request songs?

Admittedly, I don't go out much... but I've never seen anyone actually request a song if the club is packed.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by SlvrDragon50 View Post
    Do people actually still request songs?

Admittedly, I don't go out much... but I've never seen anyone actually request a song if the club is packed.
    I wish requests were a thing of the past however they are not.

Tech Convert

Hi,

A text service would be cheaper to implement if its only requests to to DJ & the club could make off this as well, this could be setup with most requested tracks from the top down, but this could also lead to misuse by the way of abusing the DJ for not playing there favourite track.

How exactly would the app work; would it just be a request service or would it be richer in content? lets say DJ profiles etc.

I'm an entreprenur looking to start work on an app that would let patrons in a nightclub/lounge request their favourite song to the DJ.
    I assume from that there would be a charge? How would you market it to the club owner never mind the punter, its very hard to get people to part with their hard earned cash, needs an angle I feel, half price entry, free drinks, a must is not been able to piss the DJ off.

No pissing the DJ off == no fucking requests.

You want me to play your shitty favourite song? How about you just piss off and buy yourself a decent sound system for your bedroom instead. We're not jukeboxes, the whole reason we're there in the first place is to make our OWN decisions about what gets played and when.

Every time I play a set somewhere, I get a bunch of people coming up to me making stupid requests. Over the last couple of months its primarily been Gangnam Style and Harlem Shake, with the odd "Nicki Minaj" or "Rihanna" in there as well.

One night I even had some middle aged lady come up to me, in the middle of a blistering 140bpm Ibiza Trance set, and say - and I quote - "can you play something that people can dance to?", seemingly completely oblivious to the fact that the rest of the club were raving like maniacs. I had to politely explain to her that this was a trance night, and she should relocate herself to one of the shitty R'n'B clubs across the road instead.
    Last edited by mdcdesign; 03-27-2013 at 04:08 AM.

I think you've got a bit of a niche market here OP.

Those who go clubbing properly, to see DJ's on a bill perform, dont ask for songs, as they are there to see the DJ do his/her thing. If he/she has a hit song of their own to play, they'll play it anyway.

Those who go to the average top 40 dive club will have their song played at some point in the night, as the DJ will be pumping out the songs in the chart's that everyone know's. And, people will stumble up to the booth to ask regardless.

There's a text service in place already at some places in the UK, so you might be a step behind already. Good luck anyway!
    Last edited by DubluW; 03-27-2013 at 06:14 AM.
    A+H DB4, Technics 1210's x2, F1, X1MK2 x2, MaschineMk2, Akai LPK 25, MF3D, XDJ-1000 x2.

Tech Mentor

[QUOTE=mdcdesign;600319] and I quote - "can you play something that people can dance to?", seemingly completely oblivious to the fact that the rest of the club were raving like maniacs.... [QUOTE]

this happend to me once a few years back.... i got told the same thing word for word.... i was playing Jackson 5 - I want you back...

now im sorry but whatever music your into... if you cant dance to that song u might aswell be deaf!
    Technics 1210 mk2 Pair, Pioneer DJM600, Traktor Kontrol x1, NI Audio 6, NI Maschine Mikro MK2, MacBook 2009, iPad 2 with Traktor DJ, Pioneer HDJ-500, Shure M447's

Quote Originally Posted by city_boy07 View Post
    this happend to me once a few years back.... i got told the same thing word for word.... i was playing Jackson 5 - I want you back...

now im sorry but whatever music your into... if you cant dance to that song u might aswell be deaf!
    Very true. I think it's a specific obsession with R'n'B fans; if it's not 80-90bpm, you can't do one of those weird "slut dances" with the shaking asses and grinding and whatnot.

Jackson 5 is like, Motown/Disco, which these days is perfect cheesy party music tbh.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by mdcdesign View Post
    Very true. I think it's a specific obsession with R'n'B fans; if it's not 80-90bpm, you can't do one of those weird "slut dances" with the shaking asses and grinding and whatnot.

Jackson 5 is like, Motown/Disco, which these days is perfect cheesy party music tbh.
    it is very much so, luckily that was about 2 years ago when i was just starting to get gigs!

i can now choose where and what i want to play!
    Technics 1210 mk2 Pair, Pioneer DJM600, Traktor Kontrol x1, NI Audio 6, NI Maschine Mikro MK2, MacBook 2009, iPad 2 with Traktor DJ, Pioneer HDJ-500, Shure M447's

heres something, how about an app where people can choose the next song played based on a poll. So the dj can load a playlist into the app, the songs will only show like 3 choices at a time and people can vote on which song they want to hear next. This could be a really fun and exciting challenge to the dj. AND he gets to play the music he wants.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast