BPM keeps changing!
    Tech Wizard

Default BPM keeps changing!

So ive been using traktor and an s4 for a while...well a couple of weeks ago i bought 2 CMP.800's and a mixer with the idea of learning to manually beat match. So ive been playing with an USB stick and cd's only. The problem im having is that when i load a new song the BPM keeps changing for example: 128 to 125 then 130. It gets more stable towards the middle-end of the song. So i never know what the read out is. This happens about 70% of the time. Im palying with MP3'S that are 320KPS.

Anyone else having problems like this with CDJ's. Ive played outside of traktor before. Could there be anything wrong with the files im using??

I appreciate any information!
    - 2 Gemini CDJ 700 - DJM 750 -

https://soundcloud.com/alfredclayton

beatmatch by ear and ignore the readout.

Tech Wizard

Thats what i was thinking...Any good tutorials on beatmatching by ear?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Era 7 View Post
    beatmatch by ear and ignore the readout.
    +1.
    The best thing you can do is just learn to beat match two records be ear, it will really help out...

As for tutorials, just type in "beat matching basic tutorials" into google/youtube. Good luck
    Roland TB-3, Roland TR-505, Maschine MK1 2.0, Alesis VI25, Novation Impulse 25, Allen & Heath ZED 10, iMac 2.9 GHz i5 8GB RAM, MBP 15" 2.66GHz, Logic Pro 9, Logic Pro X, Ableton Live 8, Ableton Live 9, KRK Rokit 8 G5's, Editor Keys Monitor Guards, Traktor Scratch Pro 2, Audio 10, , Vestax PDX-d3s x2, Kontrol X1 x2, Lexicon Alpha USB Audio Interface,

Tech Guru

What doesn't make sense is you bought that to learn beat matching when you can learn it on the S4. Jog wheels are jog wheels, controller or CDJ. The only things that are different are Twitch strips, and good ol' grandpa vinyl.

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Quote Originally Posted by Sambo View Post
    What doesn't make sense is you bought that to learn beat matching when you can learn it on the S4. Jog wheels are jog wheels, controller or CDJ. The only things that are different are Twitch strips, and good ol' grandpa vinyl.
    Length of the faders makes a big difference to beat matching properly.

Not needing a computer is a big deal IMHO.

Bit like saying anyone can drive a formula 1 car after learning to drive in a Suzuki Alto.

+1 Ignore the BPM altogether, they are pretty cheap CDJ's and would not expect them to be super accurate.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by deevey View Post
    Length of the faders makes a big difference to beat matching properly.

Not needing a computer is a big deal IMHO.

Bit like saying anyone can drive a formula 1 car after learning to drive in a Suzuki Alto.

+1 Ignore the BPM altogether, they are pretty cheap CDJ's and would not expect them to be super accurate.
    Absolutely nothing like what I was saying. THAT'S like saying anyone can flawlessly use Ableton after spinning vinyl. Fader length is a big help, but doesn't the S4 use 14-bit pitch bend message to give it MAD REZOLUTIONZ? You should be able to learn to beatmatch still.

Tech Wizard

Thanks for the input guys! on the S4 for some reason its hell of a lot easier to beatwatch. and i dont mean using the sync button.