I need your collective setup guidance!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Default I need your collective setup guidance!

I've gone through all the options, you may have seen my earlier threads about the DDJ-SX and the T1, and how I was set on them, but for some reason, I find myself now wanting the S4. Add to that the scratch upgrade, allowing me to use timecodes with the S4, and I find myself in a very tough position not to choose it. When I initially touched it, I thought it was hideous, but for some reason I now crave to touch it again.

I have the money in my hand now, it's burning a hole in my pocket, I can finally get a better set up than my damn BCD3000. Being a working UK club DJ, using CDJs is the norm, all the DJs I work with use either CDs (loldinosaur) or use Serato with timecode. I want to use the S4 because this will give me the power of the controller with the power of time code as well, which for me is a win win.

So, I'm going to buy an S4, but I fear I may have missed something, or a fantastic set up idea, and was hoping if you have any input that you could share with me, before I sink £600 on this mother lover.

EDIT (And a further £80 in getting the scratch upgrade, which brings it almost up to the total of a DDJ-SX.)

2ND EDIT: Actually, is the NI website the only place you can get the software + timecode kit from?
    Last edited by Sambo; 03-27-2013 at 09:50 PM.
    Kontrol S4Senn HD 25-1Kontrol F1

Tech Guru

The software and time code kit comes up on eBay time to time.

People do seem to like the DDJ-SX more than the S4 though.

I've only messed with the S4, and I don't have enough experience to comment :/

Tech Guru

That's what I mean, everyone is have a bit of collective dick suck over the DDJ-SX, but for me, losing out on timecodes for the advantage of a standalone 4-deck mixer isn't worth it. I mean sure it's got aluminium face plates, but I look after my gear. And I can just run the CDJs or vinyls through and let someone else use the S4 as their mixer using Traktor external input deck option, right? I mean you could always say "Yeah but what if your laptop fails?" and it's like, ok, but what if the SX's mixer fails? Maybe not as likely, but it can still happen. Problems do arise, I have back up CDs in case that should ever happen.

Quote Originally Posted by sambo View Post
    that's what i mean, everyone is have a bit of collective dick suck over the ddj-sx,
    qft!!!

On that note, I think the Pio is a better piece of kit than the S4, and is a far better hardware mixer, but if TCV is your goal the S4 might be a better choice for you.
    Last edited by jakeintox; 03-27-2013 at 10:48 PM.

Intoxicated /adj./ When you feel sophisticated without being able to pronounce it.

facebook.com/DJJakeLake
    jakelake.info

Tech Guru

It's gotta be the S4. It has everything I need. And with the money I save, I can get some molded ear plugs, because these bog standard ones aren't gonna cut it forever.

If you're going to get a controller, just get a Numark 4Trak and be done with it. I had an S4 and grew to hate it, using the setup that you are looking to use.
    Pioneer DJM 700 / Traktor Kontrol X1 / 2 x Technics SL1200MK5 / Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6.7 / Ortofon Concorde Nightclub MK1
    Audio 8 DJ / Sennheiser HD 25-1 II / Magma Traveler / IsoAcoustics ISO-L8R155 / KRK RP6 G2 / Vinyl

Tech Guru

That thing is absolutely massive though, like the flight deck of a plane! Balls to lugging that everywhere. And that FX unit at the top is just screaming break point. But why did you come to hate it?

Tech Guru

What exactly is the reason behind wanting a controller if you're a working club DJ? Cheap bedroom setup?
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Tech Mentor

id get the S4, and use it mainly with your timecode using the s4 as your mixer and fx and transporter....

if timecode is the way you really want to go though...... id go external mixer, cdj/turntable etc, soundcard, x1.

clubstandard set up (minus the x1)
    Technics 1210 mk2 Pair, Pioneer DJM600, Traktor Kontrol x1, NI Audio 6, NI Maschine Mikro MK2, MacBook 2009, iPad 2 with Traktor DJ, Pioneer HDJ-500, Shure M447's

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by makar1 View Post
    What exactly is the reason behind wanting a controller if you're a working club DJ? Cheap bedroom setup?
    +1
    Technics 1210 mk2 Pair, Pioneer DJM600, Traktor Kontrol x1, NI Audio 6, NI Maschine Mikro MK2, MacBook 2009, iPad 2 with Traktor DJ, Pioneer HDJ-500, Shure M447's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast