How to make this synth sound? (hip hop heads!)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How to make this synth sound? (hip hop heads!)

It's in SO many of the late 90's and early 2000s Hip Hop tracks,lots of Dr Dre productions, i have gone mind blank now i need to think of a source, but here is one, and this is exactly the sound.

Eazy E - Compton City G's

Dr n Snoop Jin n Juice

Dr dre - let me ride

Dr Dre- F*ck with Dre Day

Dr Dre n Snoop - Nuthin but a G' thaaaang !!!

There's some sound sources, mainly Dre tracks tbh, some pac as well.

I'm guessing these producers have all used the same keyboard or virtual studio tool/synth to generate or even manipulate something to get this sound. I wonder...

A yamaha or roland keyboard maybe? Been after this for ages.

Cheers.
    Last edited by Superfreak; 03-27-2013 at 03:31 PM.
    Roland TB-3, Roland TR-505, Maschine MK1 2.0, Alesis VI25, Novation Impulse 25, Allen & Heath ZED 10, iMac 2.9 GHz i5 8GB RAM, MBP 15" 2.66GHz, Logic Pro 9, Logic Pro X, Ableton Live 8, Ableton Live 9, KRK Rokit 8 G5's, Editor Keys Monitor Guards, Traktor Scratch Pro 2, Audio 10, , Vestax PDX-d3s x2, Kontrol X1 x2, Lexicon Alpha USB Audio Interface,

Tech Mentor

I know Dre use to use a Workstation Keyboard I use to own called the Korg Triton Studio.. the factor presets and its oscs were definately tailored to hip hop.

Korg Triton or a Juno 6 can make those sounds. In software, imageline's harmor.
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

Or Reasons Thor.

Okay, Triton has popped up like everywhere!!! I can't afford to by a hardware one atm but do you know if there is freeware/demo triton (even triton equivalent) sounding plugins? I'm using logic btw. Have ableton too.

Thanks guys.
    Roland TB-3, Roland TR-505, Maschine MK1 2.0, Alesis VI25, Novation Impulse 25, Allen & Heath ZED 10, iMac 2.9 GHz i5 8GB RAM, MBP 15" 2.66GHz, Logic Pro 9, Logic Pro X, Ableton Live 8, Ableton Live 9, KRK Rokit 8 G5's, Editor Keys Monitor Guards, Traktor Scratch Pro 2, Audio 10, , Vestax PDX-d3s x2, Kontrol X1 x2, Lexicon Alpha USB Audio Interface,

Tech Convert

THAT STYLE's known as .....g-funk......I LOVE IT especially when it's chopped and screwed....the characteristic synth sound can really be any basic waveform played really high...it doesn't need to be an expensive keyboard...the secret is to get a synth or pluggin with a PORTAMENTO or "glide" function...it will also work better if it's used in monophonic (1 note) mode...launch a basic synth pluggin..turn CUTOFF FREQUENCY and SUSTAIN knob's all the way UP... RESONANCE and ATTACK all the way down and you'll be in the ballpark... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G_funk

Tech Guru

You can make one of those in Ableton's Operator or FL's Harmor easily. Definitely all in the portamento though. Probably sin wave as well to get that buttery smoothness

EDIT: First search I did turned up this, you're welcome :P

Quote Originally Posted by bthebeat View Post
    THAT STYLE's known as .....g-funk......I LOVE IT especially when it's chopped and screwed....the characteristic synth sound can really be any basic waveform played really high...it doesn't need to be an expensive keyboard...the secret is to get a synth or pluggin with a PORTAMENTO or "glide" function...it will also work better if it's used in monophonic (1 note) mode...launch a basic synth pluggin..turn CUTOFF FREQUENCY and SUSTAIN knob's all the way UP... RESONANCE and ATTACK all the way down and you'll be in the ballpark... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G_funk
    I know its G-funk baby ;-) love it, just looking on how to re-create that classic dre/90s high pitch rap hip hop synth! one of my most favourite eras when that was at its biggest, you a hip hop head too yeah? :-)
    Okay cheers man, will try out what you said! I've got SYLENTH, and a bunch of cool synths, hopefully can get it with them!

Quote Originally Posted by Sambo
    You can make one of those in Ableton's Operator or FL's Harmor easily. Definitely all in the portamento though. Probably sin wave as well to get that buttery smoothness

EDIT: First search I did turned up this, you're welcome :P
    Cheers man!! Had a quick look at it he doesnt demonstrate the sound, but im going to follow it in ableton and try it out! If it works i owe ya ;-)

Tech Guru

He does demonstrate the sound. Not very well, he kind of just mashes keys, but the sound is there.
    Kontrol S4Senn HD 25-1Kontrol F1

Ah okay, must of had volume low. Going to try this tonight

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast