Want turntables, but...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

Default Want turntables, but...

So I recently came across a great deal on a pair of turntables + z2. The seller has been awesome in giving me time to gather the money. In the meantime, I’ve become unsure of my purchase. One of my concerns is that I gig and practice on CDJs, so although I’d be getting this setup at a great deal, it’s not really necessary – it’s just a setup I’ve always wanted. My second and biggest concern is using and relying on Traktor. I seldom use Traktor, only utilizing it for my promo mixes. I’ve spent a good amount of time perfecting my beatmatching (duh) and mixing without software, so I’d hate to become lazy, especially if I’m gigging without Traktor. For those with software + TT experience, do you rely on Traktor to catch a beat or have you simply been using Traktor for everything over than using waveforms? Maybe I shouldn’t make the purchase. Kinda confused at this point. I’d like to hear what you guys think.

I use turntables and a Z2 and love it. You don't need to use Traktor at all, if you don't want to.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by botstein View Post
    I use turntables and a Z2 and love it. You don't need to use Traktor at all, if you don't want to.
    Without Traktor, I'd have to buy records and I can't afford that. I go through about 150 tracks a month.

Quote Originally Posted by bassgoesmeow View Post
    Without Traktor, I'd have to buy records and I can't afford that. I go through about 150 tracks a month.
    I assume that you mean it's cheaper to buy music digitally, or that you're in a digital record pool.

You could beatmatch by ear, just pretending that the control vinyl are regular records. You don't have to use sync.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by botstein View Post
    I assume that you mean it's cheaper to buy music digitally, or that you're in a digital record pool.

You could beatmatch by ear, just pretending that the control vinyl are regular records. You don't have to use sync.
    Speaking from experience, is this what you do? Beatmatch by ear when a track starts drifting

Can't speak for botstein but that's pretty much how I use Traktor. Got it to cut the costs of vinyl and with disabling BPM readout, phrase meter, waveforms, etc it's exactly like playing vinyl but with access to much more music.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Vermilion View Post
    Can't speak for botstein but that's pretty much how I use Traktor. Got it to cut the costs of vinyl and with disabling BPM readout, phrase meter, waveforms, etc it's exactly like playing vinyl but with access to much more music.
    Whoa, didn't know you could disable those options. Sweet! Once connected to Traktor though, will the turntables become less accurate when adjusting the tempo?

I'm usually more on top of it than letting any drifting happen, but what I can say is that I don't usually look at the computer screen at all.

If you put your layout in essential mode, even with 4 decks you'll have half of the screen for your library. In browse mode you'll have just a track overview of each deck and 3/4 of your library to view.

I don't have that much time on decks, but one thing I can tell you is that digital, and traktor specifically, is designed to help you construct a your workflow. You can start from where you feel comfortable and build on top of it. The only bad habits you build, are the ones you allow yourself to build (or map ).

GL with your decision.
    The MUSIC is what matters!
    Everything else is _________

Tech Mentor

I use Traktor with my 1210's, and to be honest, I do use the BPM display, as this is used on CDJ's anyway, I don't feel like this is cheating at all.

I also, to an extent, use the waveforms, but only for noticing where the breaks kick in, and beats drop, but then you see this on vinyl anyway, and, to an extent, on CDJ's too.

Other than that, I do my fine-tuning by ear. So match the BPM's close, then fine adjustments by ear. I don't consider that cheating as there are no elements of the program I use that aren't found on CDJ's, and only the BPM which aint on vinyl, but is on my mixer anyway, so doesn't really matter. Of course, while the track actually loads up into Traktor, I beatmatch by ear anyway. My last mix I fired through about 10 tunes to find the tune I was going to play next. By the time it loaded the tune I was actually playing, I was already mixing in the next tune, so no BPM help that time.

But it is a great way of getting to play more music. I don't have CDJ's anymore, just the 1210's running TSP, so it works well for me. Still buy the occasional vinyl release, but mostly just download my tunes now, and I find it works well
    Technics 1210 mk2's, Pioneer CDJ 500, Allen & Heath DB4, NI F1's (x2), Reloop Contour Controller Edition, Sennheiser HD25 1-II or Allen & Heath XD2-53's depending on my mood...

Mixcloud : xs2man - Latest Mix: Latest Mix 13-10-2016

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast