Traktor 2.6.1 Overloads CPU (Windows)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Traktor 2.6.1 Overloads CPU (Windows)

I've had this happen twice in front of an audience, which is embarrassing. Ever since I updated Traktor to version 2.6, it has gotten a little sluggish. I update to 2.6.1 and now my CPU load red-lines so bad, it is almost useless.

I use an S2 to mix. The (!) error light keeps flashing almost constantly on my S2. I switched out USB ports and USB cables. There is no difference. I shut down everything in the background using the Windows Power Script. Nothing improves. What's worse, is if I try to use my laptop's internal sound card (for times when I'm simply gridding and placing hot cues on new songs, and just want to hear what I'm doing through the headphone out on my laptop)...the CPU overloads so badly, there is a loud whine coming from Traktor. I know the whine is coming from Traktor because I only hear the whine when Traktor is running and the volume is up at a moderate level. My internal sound card does not do this with anything else.

I am considering formatting my hard drive and starting fresh. Windows needs that from time to time anyway, so if that is the best solution, I have no problem doing with a system flush. BUT if others are having the same problem and can offer a work around, I would rather try the work around first.

Below I have a screen capture of what I'm talking about.
    Yes, the audible whine through the video is annoying. Apologies in advance if the whine from Traktor makes it difficult to hear what I am saying.

The video in a nutshell: I open Traktor. I switch the Audio settings from ASIO4ALL v2 to my internal sound card. You can see the 'LOAD' at the top of Traktor go in the red. I shut down everything on Windows except the screen capture and Traktor.

I can't DJ like this.

Am I the only one with this problem? How do I fix it?
    Is there a way to download previous versions of Traktor 2 until this issue is fixed?
    Last edited by B-Naut; 03-29-2013 at 03:03 AM.
    --DJ B-Naut || Atlanta, GA
    Electro House || Mashups || VJ

Toshiba L505 i3 8GB RAM Win 7 64bit / 2 Technics 1200 / Vestax PMC280 / Dicer / Akai APC40 / Numark NuVJ / Arkaos GrandVJ

dual core? win7?7?
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

Quote Originally Posted by hellnegative View Post
    dual core? win7?7?
    Yes. All of my tech specs are in my signature. I'm running an Intel i3 (quad core) with 8GB RAM on a Windows 7 laptop.

Toshiba L505 i3 8GB RAM Win 7 64bit / 2 Technics 1200 / Vestax PMC280 / Dicer / Akai APC40 / Numark NuVJ / Arkaos GrandVJ

i didn't watch the entire vid but:

1.) why do you bother with asio4all? use the S2's ASIO driver.

2.) if the S2's ASIO driver doesn't give adequate performance, try (i) optimizing your laptop (see here) and (ii) try increasing latencies.

Quote Originally Posted by dreamdrums View Post
    i didn't watch the entire vid but:

1.) why do you bother with asio4all? use the S2's ASIO driver.
    Try watching the ENTIRE VIDEO first. ASIO4ALL is there because it is an audio driver that has been installed for use with FL Studio and Sony Acid Pro to have them be more compatible with other VST plug ins I have. Traktor just happens to have detected ASIO4ALL and popped it into the Audio list. I never use ASIO4ALL when Traktor is being used. I either use my built in sound card or my S2 instead.

2.) if the S2's ASIO driver doesn't give adequate performance, try (i) optimizing your laptop (see here) and (ii) try increasing latencies.
    I have had this laptop since Traktor 1.5.x all the way through version 2.0...which, I have not had this issue until now. I use the Windows Optimization Power Script simply as a precaution.

I have already done the the laptop optimizing per Native Instruments' suggestions a couple years ago and adjusted the latency using the diagnostics that came with my S2. The same results happen.

Updated the S2's drivers?
    Pioneer DJM 700 / Traktor Kontrol X1 / 2 x Technics SL1200MK5 / Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6.7 / Ortofon Concorde Nightclub MK1
    Audio 8 DJ / Sennheiser HD 25-1 II / Magma Traveler / IsoAcoustics ISO-L8R155 / KRK RP6 G2 / Vinyl

Tech Wizard

I had this problem for the longest time after upgrading Traktor and did so much trying to troubleshoot it. I eventually found that if I disabled some of my effect decks it brought the CPU load down to a workable level, so I remapped my controller to work with 2 effect units instead of 4. And that's when I realized, after 6 months of working with this problem, that my laptop power plan had been set to Battery Saving Mode the whole time. Needless to say, changing it to performance mode fixed the problem.

Yeah, I'm an idiot.

Probably not the solution to your problem, but yeah... just putting that out there.

Quote Originally Posted by B-Naut View Post
    Try watching the ENTIRE VIDEO first.
    it's bad etiquette to ask ppl to watch a long vid given you could just summarize this stuff in a few sentences.

Quote Originally Posted by B-Naut View Post
    The video in a nutshell: I open Traktor. I switch the Audio settings from ASIO4ALL v2 to my internal sound card. You can see the 'LOAD' at the top of Traktor go in the red.
    surprise, surprise why does the internal sound card matter? again, use the S2's ASIO driver. and work through the document i linked.

I'll post the work around tutorial when I get near my laptop. don't worry bruv. its a win7 problem that's easily fixed.
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

it's bad etiquette to ask ppl to watch a long vid given you could just summarize this stuff in a few sentences.

surprise, surprise why does the internal sound card matter? again, use the S2's ASIO driver. and work through the document i linked.
    Bad etiquette aside, both my explanation of the issue and the video indicated that I do not use ASIO4ALL, only my S2 and my internal sound card. The internal sound card matters because I would only use it "for times when I'm simply gridding and placing hot cues on new songs, and just want to hear what I'm doing through the headphone out on my laptop". I like to be away from the rest of my gear while I'm in pre-production mode with only my laptop in my lap, my headphones plugged into my laptop, a drink beside me, all while kicking back in a plush leather recliner. It's just how I roll. Nothing more than personal comfort is involved here.

Even when I rehearse, record, or play a gig live I use my S2...which, while it does alleviate a tiny fraction of the load on my system it still has the CPU above the 90% range and will still bog down. Previous versions of Traktor did not do this. Not even close.

As things are now, I can't even think of using effects or my MIDI Fighter 3D or additional Remix Decks to spice up my mix sessions. I need to lower the CPU load to around 30% or less somehow, like it used to be with previous versions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast