New Set-up suggestions - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Tech Guru

And that's fair enough, my point is if you owned a club, would you rather hire the guy using what all the big names use, or would you hire the guy in his bedroom with a load of sparkly space devices? I'm looking at it from the working DJ point of view as opposed to the hobbyist, by the way.
    Kontrol S4Senn HD 25-1Kontrol F1

Quote Originally Posted by Sambo View Post
    And that's fair enough, my point is if you owned a club, would you rather hire the guy using what all the big names use, or would you hire the guy in his bedroom with a load of sparkly space devices? I'm looking at it from the working DJ point of view as opposed to the hobbyist, by the way.
    1ST and the most IMPORTANT! I think, everyone would hire a guy whose MUSIC is good, the guy who would fill up space and customers would buy drinks and come back for 2nd 3rd 4th etc etc round, and would come back again because of the atmosphere, and in my opinion DJ makes atmosphere, equipment will not fill up the club, and by the way any half decent club has top end equipment anyways, but i would prefer using what I use and what I'm comfortable with, I would think any club owner would know the basics of business specially Night Club business which doesn't take rocket science to understand, and would understand that hiring by what equipment you use is big no no

Tech Guru

Expensive equipment is not necessary. Being able to mix on what's available is though.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Tech Guru

So how do you propose you hire a DJ? Sit down and listen to him for 5 hours and imagine how the crowd will react? You can't trust a recorded mix because there's no guarantee he made it. Believe me, you don't want to trial by fire and just throw them on, one bad night can do almost irreparable damage to your clubs footfall. You hire based on reputation and image.

Look you asked for suggestions for your setup, I'm just suggesting you don't actually need anything. Replace the DJM with a Xone, or just get a RMX-1000 on top of your current, and your set up would be the envy of most DJs. You will want at least one jog with Traktor, the beatgrids are amazing, but they aren't perfect, and it's something only a jog/touchstrip can fix on the fly.

Have you considered the Twitch to control Traktors more mundane aspects? You don't have to use its sound card, and you can find them quite cheap now.

Quote Originally Posted by makar1 View Post
    Expensive equipment is not necessary. Being able to mix on what's available is though.
    Could not agree more.
    Kontrol S4Senn HD 25-1Kontrol F1

Quote Originally Posted by Sambo View Post
    So how do you propose you hire a DJ? Sit down and listen to him for 5 hours and imagine how the crowd will react? You can't trust a recorded mix because there's no guarantee he made it. Believe me, you don't want to trial by fire and just throw them on, one bad night can do almost irreparable damage to your clubs footfall. You hire based on reputation and image.

Look you asked for suggestions for your setup, I'm just suggesting you don't actually need anything. Replace the DJM with a Xone, or just get a RMX-1000 on top of your current, and your set up would be the envy of most DJs. You will want at least one jog with Traktor, the beatgrids are amazing, but they aren't perfect, and it's something only a jog/touchstrip can fix on the fly.

Have you considered the Twitch to control Traktors more mundane aspects? You don't have to use its sound card, and you can find them quite cheap now.

Could not agree more.
    You don't need a jog for Traktor. Just beatgrid everything right (preparation). I don't know where you live, but here in The Netherlands they'll hire you for the music you bring, not if you're spinning with Traktor or CDJ's. CDJ's for home are an expensive waste of limited capabilities, IMHO.
    MacBook Pro 13 (Q1 2011) | Adam A5X | Akai APC20 | Alesis QX49 | Behringer BCR2000 | NI Komplete Audio 6

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by JDFS View Post
    You don't need a jog for Traktor. Just beatgrid everything right (preparation). I don't know where you live, but here in The Netherlands they'll hire you for the music you bring, not if you're spinning with Traktor or CDJ's. CDJ's for home are an expensive waste of limited capabilities, IMHO.
    This is wrong. Sorry vriend, maar dit moet ik even rechtzetten

In The Netherlands there are big differences between the venues you play. But I'll guarantee you they won't book you purely on the music you bring.

Quote Originally Posted by Student View Post
    This is wrong. Sorry vriend, maar dit moet ik even rechtzetten

In The Netherlands there are big differences between the venues you play. But I'll guarantee you they won't book you purely on the music you bring.
    Hehe, depending on the scene. Of course, you must produce good music. But my scene is mostly deeper techno (not that Drumcode techno house 'thing').
    MacBook Pro 13 (Q1 2011) | Adam A5X | Akai APC20 | Alesis QX49 | Behringer BCR2000 | NI Komplete Audio 6

I'd say start off with the mixer and build up from there. The capabilities of the DB series is ridiculous and the fact that it is a manufacturer supported, high end, digital mixer extends its life and value.

As far as adding in maschine, I'd say that you could possibly achieve most of what you want with the 2-F1's in Traktor. If you watch this set from Richie Hawtin, he is sparingly using it to make fills either by "note repeat" or "step sequencer" mode.

The MUSIC is what matters!
    Everything else is _________

Argh, trying to watch that video above but it's driving me absolutely mad that his Maschine is 1 beat out of sync with the rest of the track :@

Quote Originally Posted by mdcdesign View Post
    Argh, trying to watch that video above but it's driving me absolutely mad that his Maschine is 1 beat out of sync with the rest of the track :@
    The legend he is, I think he knows, and I think he wants to be it that way!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123