How do i edit a sample in Ableton?

Default How do i edit a sample in Ableton?

I've searched and searched the forum and google, but i can't find a definitive answer...

How do i edit the noise scratch (or any other) sample in Ableton so that it sounds different each time i trigger it?

There's multiple examples of what i'm talking about in most of Mad Zach's vids. Any help would be much appreciated (especially from Master Zach himself)

There are a million ways - but to get you started:

1) Set warp to complex, or tones, and assign a knob to "transpose" in the clip properties.
    2) Stick an autofilter on the channel that the clip is being triggered on, and assign a knob to the autofilter cutoff/frequency.

Have a play with adding effects to the track that the clip is being played on. Check the Ableton site for videos - Getting Started vids would be a good place to start...
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    There are a million ways - but to get you started:

1) Set warp to complex, or tones, and assign a knob to "transpose" in the clip properties.
    2) Stick an autofilter on the channel that the clip is being triggered on, and assign a knob to the autofilter cutoff/frequency.

Have a play with adding effects to the track that the clip is being played on. Check the Ableton site for videos - Getting Started vids would be a good place to start...
    Thanks for the response Patch.

I'm actually new to Ableton (been using Fl Studio) so i'm not sure i completely follow your directions. I'll dig a little deeper into the software and see if i can figure it out, but a little more detail would be appreciated (where to find 'warp' for example).

In the clip properties.

You're gonna have to read the manual, mate...
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Tech Wizard

The info Patch gave is only useful if your tweaking a knob at the same time as playing the sample. If you want the sound to change without having to tweak stuff with your third hand then you should look into using an LFO (low frequency oscillator) to effect something. Mad Zack's classic example of this is done as follows. (one way of doing it)

Load up a a sound into a drum rack with Simpler.
    In the middle, towards the bottom of the Simpler there is a label LFO above an on/off button. Turn the LFO ON.
    Just to the right of that there is a label Retrigger. Turn that OFF. (this means the LFO does not reset every time you trigger)
    Next, turn the filter ON (far left) and turn up the LFO %.
    Then play with the Freq knob (probably sounds best around the middle).
    Try triggering the sample to see if it sounds different each time you play it.
    You can change the LFO rate / freq to change the speed of this effect...

You can also use this LFO to adjust pitch as well. You can do the same thing with Sampler and control a lot more but it's more complex. You can do similar things with the LFO in various effects. You can download a max4live patch that lets you use LFO's on any knobs or sliders on any effect or instrument!

If you want more help, just holler. I also give cheep 1 on 1 training via skype. PM me if your interested.