What makes a setup "Professional"?
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default What makes a setup "Professional"?

Hello everyone, I have been prowling the forums for a while and recently decided it was high time I register. I thought I'd kick off my DJtechtools debut with a little question that has about a million answers.

What makes a DJ setup worthy of the title "professional"? Is it only really professional if you still DJ with Vinyl? Do you have a to have a pair of CDJ-2000's? Is it okay to walk on stage with just your Macbook and an S4? What, in your eyes, decides whether or not a setup is good enough to be on stage?

-Please read-

I ask these questions rhetorically to stir up thought, I don't personally think that it is realistic to say- maybe you do- that only vinyl DJ's are real. I, although I LOVE information, am not posting this to be another teenager (yes, I am a teen) asking for you to tell me what to buy. I have done my homework and just want to know what you guys are passionate about, and maybe learn a thing or two before I start buying more gear.

I walk into a booth containing 2 X1s, 1 K2, and 2 MF Pros. No one ever calls me on it. Typically people look for big platters as a sign of status.

I think there are different options for different people. Spice of life. Love what you love. Don't what you don't. Add variety to your life, or stay the same. Whatever makes you happy.

Tech Guru

Professional gear is just gear that can stand abuse and has been proven to be reliable IMO.

-> DJM + CDJ
    -> mixer + TT
    -> controller

Main thing being the abuse part.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by SlvrDragon50 View Post
    Professional gear is just gear that can stand abuse and has been proven to be reliable IMO.

-> DJM + CDJ
    -> mixer + TT
    -> controller

Main thing being the abuse part.
    That is how I like to think of it as well. It shouldn't really matter what you are playing on as long as it doesn't break and you play good music.

Tech Guru

Time tested to be reliable, superior sound quality (those that think the S4 falls into this category are IMO wrong), and at least somewhat look the part (obviously I think this subjective and depends on who it is that is judging you ex: ex-dj that is now the head promoter vs. parents that hired you to do their daughters sweet sixteen)

Edit : I'm talking about proffesional club equipment more than anything else
    Last edited by manchild; 03-31-2013 at 08:57 PM.

Tech Guru

Gear that is built to last and perform well rather than to a budget is professional.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Tech Convert

Manchild, are there any all-in-one controllers that do hold up to the professional sound, build and usability standard IYO? Are you suggesting that piecing gear together is the best way to go?

To answer ur question I'd consider s4 professional, numark mix track pro a toy.

Idk bout cdjs but any controller under $500 is kind of unprofessional/cheap in my opinion. Part of the high cost of controllers is the sound card.
    I'm a fan of all things art. Music, film, photography, acting, dancing. Expression is powerful.
    www.twitter.com/mtlgrrr
    www.soundcloud.com/mtlgrrr
    www.facebook.com/mtlgrrr

Tech Guru

I can only comment on gear that Ive owned....I've owned the S4 and even though it was said to have an equivelant to an Audio 4 or Audio 8, I own both those sound cards and can tell you it does not sound as good as those cards. I'm no audiophile, but thru experience of DJ'n and use of that equipment I can hear the difference, and just for your information the Audio 8 or 4 does not sound nearly as good as the internal card on the DJM 900 either

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast