Tag team/b2b

Thread: Tag team/b2b

Tech Mentor

Default Tag team/b2b

When everyone was still playing vinyl, tag teaming was some of the most fun I had mixing. Everyone brought their records with them everywhere, to a party, to a show, to a friend's house. The equipment was static. You just needed records. Those were some of the best times I've had. We would always play 3 records a piece and go back to back. Now that we're all digital, we all have to play off one person's laptop. We have to play from the same library. That's one thing I really miss about vinyl. Is there any way around it I'm not aware of?

Bring a thumb drive of your tunes?

Intoxicated /adj./ When you feel sophisticated without being able to pronounce it.

facebook.com/DJJakeLake
    jakelake.info

Tech Mentor

You can manually beatmatch two instances of traktor... I've done it with my buddy b2b many times. Just gets some time getting used to without any pitch faders or platters...
    - 15.4" MBP 2.7 i7 - Macbook 13" - Allen&Heath Xone92R - V-Moda Crossfade LP - Pioneer HDJ-2000 - Traktor Pro2 - Xone k2 - NI Maschine - Ableton Live Suite 9 -

Sound Cloud : http://soundcloud.com/alexandercocar

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by b1sh0p View Post
    When everyone was still playing vinyl, tag teaming was some of the most fun I had mixing. Everyone brought their records with them everywhere, to a party, to a show, to a friend's house. The equipment was static. You just needed records. Those were some of the best times I've had. We would always play 3 records a piece and go back to back. Now that we're all digital, we all have to play off one person's laptop. We have to play from the same library. That's one thing I really miss about vinyl. Is there any way around it I'm not aware of?
    Each person uses their own Laptop? Thumb Drive? Sure beats a crate of records in my book lol

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by SJJVEN View Post
    You can manually beatmatch two instances of traktor... I've done it with my buddy b2b many times. Just gets some time getting used to without any pitch faders or platters...
    Traktor has both tempo fader and pitch bending.. What are you without? :P I would think the latencies of different soundcard settings, or if you sync them via midi and something is off beat then compensating with Midi latency for beat matching would be the only pitfall, but ive yet to experience something like that yet. ::knock on wood::

Tech Mentor

^ I meant compared to that traditional way of "djing" as described in the op's post. Turn tables/cdjs...
    - 15.4" MBP 2.7 i7 - Macbook 13" - Allen&Heath Xone92R - V-Moda Crossfade LP - Pioneer HDJ-2000 - Traktor Pro2 - Xone k2 - NI Maschine - Ableton Live Suite 9 -

Sound Cloud : http://soundcloud.com/alexandercocar

two sets of gear qith a mixer in the middle. My boy Nicro and I tag team as a desperate entity. he mixes on 4 cdjs back to back with me mixing on two turntables DVS/vinyl, two contours, f1, and aka I lpk.
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

Tech Mentor

I've gone B2B with people playing on wax, CDJs, and other digital systems. Just gotta have good control of your pitch/bending. S2/S4 is great for this if you don't use timecode.

It's pretty easy to go back to back on CDJs with thumb drives and I see a lot of people do this. Just plug one thumb drive in each CDJ and go.