Can you be asked to pay?
    Tech Mentor

Default Can you be asked to pay?

hey guys, i am thinking of throwing an event on a wednesday and worry that not enough people may come out. I am told that the bar must make money first before I and promoter get paid. What if bar doesnt get money and they lose money on the night - could they potentially ask us to pay to cover what they lost for throwing an event?

Potentially they could turn into flying saucers and create the world's largest pancake tower. It all depends on what you agree with them. If in doubt ask the person you are doing business with. Is there a contract?
    Beats By Dre is like audio flu for your balls.

Tech Mentor

In my opinion, if the event fails, either the bar manager made a mistake by hiring that promoter, or it was just "one of those nights" and it would've failed anyway.

Bar should take responsibility in situations like this, as they are in charge of making the decisions (or putting others in that position). But, where I come from, the bar owners/managers don't have a clue (or they don't give a crap) so I've been in similar situations.

Tech Mentor

No contract. Just worried they be like 'man we lost money - you said you can bring this many people and you didnt'.

Sure they can ask - and you can say no. The worst that will happen is that they wont invite you back to play but if they made less money on your night than with no DJ at all, I'd say they probably wouldn't be inviting you back anyhow.

Tech Mentor

Alright thanks guys! I won't be signing anything so i guess the worst case i won't get invited again. cheers

dude you can easily get like 500 ppl to come to an event. Flyers man...flyers (and a street team). they really work. Also use facebook and instagram is a surprisingly good tool, alot of clubbers hang out on there.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by 031999 View Post
    dude you can easily get like 500 ppl to come to an event. Flyers man...flyers (and a street team). they really work. Also use facebook and instagram is a surprisingly good tool, alot of clubbers hang out on there.
    That's easy to say when you're from Atlanta. Come out to Dayton, OH and get 500 people to an event with flyers and a street team, and I'll gladly pay you. It's all relative.

Quote Originally Posted by Landsnark View Post
    That's easy to say when you're from Atlanta. Come out to Dayton, OH and get 500 people to an event with flyers and a street team, and I'll gladly pay you. It's all relative.
    Point taken sir

Tech Mentor

(To be fair, OP could be from NYC for all I know)