Newbie with external/internal mixing question....

Default Newbie with external/internal mixing question....

Although I've been DJing since '94, I'm new to this digital business and getting into it one step at a time. I've been lurking around this site for a couple of months now and am ready to say hello and ask a question.....

So far I've bought Traktor Pro and an Allen & Heath Xone K2 controller. These, with my Technics and old three channel mixer, allow me to mix normal vinyl on two channels and mix two more channels internally using the K2 routed to the mixer's third channel.

Last month I downloaded my first ever track online. It was a strange experience and not as satisfying as crate digging but keeping tracks in my cart for a day or week before actually buying them is great. No more claiming that the records sounded better in the shop. I'm so excited with my new "records" I've been playing (at home) with just the K2 and my laptop which is actually really good fun. However, I'm itching to try out control vinyl and am thinking about spending more money...

However, there is one thing I cannot figure out and I need the collective wisdom of the forum. If I buy an NI Audio 6/10 sound-card with Traktor Scratch Pro set up to mix externally, can I still set up the K2 to internally mix channels C & D?

I might go the whole hog and buy a new mixer but want to save that decision for another day...

Thank you.

Tech Guru

If you want to use timecode vinyl, all your audio routing must go through the Traktor Certified device.
    So if you need 4 decks you'll need an Audio8 DJ or a Traktor Audio 10. Or a 4-channel Traktor Scratch Certified mixer.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Quote Originally Posted by makar1 View Post
    If you want to use timecode vinyl, all your audio routing must go through the Traktor Certified device.
    So if you need 4 decks you'll need an Audio8 DJ or a Traktor Audio 10. Or a 4-channel Traktor Scratch Certified mixer.
    Thanks Makar. I didn't know that. Since I don't like any of the Traktor Scratch Certified mixers*, I think I know what my next purchase is going to be.

*except maybe the NI Z2

Tech Guru

The Z2 has an Audio6 built in.
    Hardware: Akai Max49, Maschine, Equator D5 monitors, Saffire Pro 14
    Software: Logic, Maschine
    My Neighbors Listen to House Music.. Because They Have To.

Yes you can use the K2 for controlling deck C/D but you would have to root the sound through 1 channel of the Audio6/10 to the mixer.
    DJ setup 1 - Pioneer XDJ-Aero, Pioneer DDJ-SP1, Mixvibes Cross, Macbook Air 13", Pioneer HDJ 2000. DJ setup 2 - NI Kontrol F1, Z1, X1mkII, Traktor Pro2, Macbook Air 13", Pioneer HDJ 2000 w. Production - iMac 21.5", Motu 828x, Icon Qcon Pro + EX, Nektar Panorama P4, Propellerhead Reason, Mashine Mikro(drum programer in Reason)