The Professor's Mix Vol. 001 - The First 30

Default The Professor's Mix Vol. 001 - The First 30

Hey all! I just recorded my first mix ever and I wanted to share it with you guys and get some feedback! I'm really new at this still (I feel that way anyway.) so all help is appreciated!

Last edited by ProfessorStrangeman; 04-02-2013 at 05:35 PM.

IMO any mix less than 50 minutes is a cop out. make your mixes between 55 - 65 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by loverocket View Post
    IMO any mix less than 50 minutes is a cop out. make your mixes between 55 - 65 minutes.
    I keep it in mind! Thanks loverocket!

Tech Guru

IMO, a short mix is fine if you're doing some absolutely ballistic mixing, for example:

One of the most awesome half hour mixes I've heard in recent times (I'm not really into any specific genre either)

Personally, for me (as in, this is my personal taste), your mix isn't something I'd listen to, because I find minimal/tech to be quite dull. Those 6 tracks for me would have been mixed and done with within 15, 20 minutes at most, and there would have been a lot more concurrent playing. Again, 3/4 deck mixing can be limited by your set-up, I just encourage you to really add some flare. Scratching, acapellas, tempo changes. That's the idea of show case mixes, showing your throbbing vein trophy in all it's throbbing glory.

Also, the bit about 10 minutes in, I think you use the off-beat delay, but you're bringing in the other song, and it make it sound like you're galloping. I know you're not, because the beat comes in on time, but it still sounds odd and messes with the flow. If it delayed into a break point, and then the next track thumped in, that would have been fantastic.

But keep it up though, with practice you can and will get better, I wish I could keep up a regular mix schedule but I'm just too easily distracted!
    Kontrol S4Senn HD 25-1Kontrol F1

Quote Originally Posted by Sambo View Post
    IMO, a short mix is fine if you're doing some absolutely ballistic mixing, for example:

https://soundcloud.com/knifepartyinc/kpmixmagmix

One of the most awesome half hour mixes I've heard in recent times (I'm not really into any specific genre either)

Personally, for me (as in, this is my personal taste), your mix isn't something I'd listen to, because I find minimal/tech to be quite dull. Those 6 tracks for me would have been mixed and done with within 15, 20 minutes at most, and there would have been a lot more concurrent playing. Again, 3/4 deck mixing can be limited by your set-up, I just encourage you to really add some flare. Scratching, acapellas, tempo changes. That's the idea of show case mixes, showing your throbbing vein trophy in all it's throbbing glory.

Also, the bit about 10 minutes in, I think you use the off-beat delay, but you're bringing in the other song, and it make it sound like you're galloping. I know you're not, because the beat comes in on time, but it still sounds odd and messes with the flow. If it delayed into a break point, and then the next track thumped in, that would have been fantastic.

But keep it up though, with practice you can and will get better, I wish I could keep up a regular mix schedule but I'm just too easily distracted!
    Great advice mate! Thanks alot!!