Good website for getting into Production
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Good website for getting into Production

Hey,

So i've been a DJ on and off for quite a few years now and was thinking about getting into production. I don't really know where to begin but would like to do some research before jumping in and buying something. What are some good websites that give a good intro to this kind of thing? I got a free copy Ableton with my soundcard and the APC40 looks like a good place to start but i'd really like to educate myself more before buying anything.

live performance = ableton

multi-track production = logic/pro tools/acid/fl studio... there's a lot

i love: gearslutz.com
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition

This site is amazing:
    http://www.tweakheadz.com/guide.htm

http://soundcloud.com/rvltion909

...chasing beats through ghetto streets...

+1 on kvraudio.com. also check out futureproducers.com they have a good forum section and tutorials
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Quote Originally Posted by The Vly View Post
    holy hell why have i not seen this before.

+1 my friend
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition

A big +1 for tweakheadz and gearslutz.

If you have specific questions about production, djtt is a great place to get help. A lot of people that creep around here do production work, too (myself included).

I wouldn't go out and buy the APC40 just yet though. Not that it isn't a quality piece of gear, I'm just saying it's not necessarily something you'll need, especially at first. Personally, I would suggest buying a keyboard controller, it will help tremendously with production. Something like the M-Audio Oxygen 8. Or, if you really want something with a couple pads (though nothing close to the APC40), you can pick up something like the M-Audio Axiom 25, which has 8 pads and a couple knobs.

I'm only suggesting these two things because, well, they're fairly inexpensive, and I guess I kind of assumed that you don't have loads of cash to be spending on something you're just getting into.

(On the other hand, if you have a lot of money, go buy the APC40, I will be infinitely jealous )

I would start by downloading demos of some production software, figure out what works for you, and try to figure out how to do some basic things.

Edit: I forgot to mention, the production software will be expensive if you decide not to use Ableton, I guess that's why I was tweaking out about the whole money issue
    Last edited by Lambox; 08-29-2009 at 09:53 AM.
    LamboxMusic.com
    Newest release: A Pimp's Overture in B-Flat Minor
    Check out my free "Robo Rhythm" EP: Here

Soundcloud - Facebook - Twitter

If you are using Fl.Studio

http://www.warbeats.com is a pretty good site to get you into the internal workings of the program. Its kinda amazing what a program previously refered to as Fruity Loops can do now these days. I have learned allot from that site.

on youtube search "Producer Masterclass" or "Future Music" there is a slew of vids there that give some helpful tips. You will notice Benga and Laidback Luke use FLStudio

Acephincter is another good youtube search as well.
    MacBook Pro 2.53ghz . iMac 2.6ghrz . Compaq 2.4ghrz . Berhinger A5OD Reference Amp . Berhinger Ultra Graph Pro . Behringer Truth B1030A Monitors . Stanton FS Open . Native Instruments Maschine . Numark Mixdeck . TraktorLE . Vestax VCI-100 . Behringer UMX-25 . M-Audio Trigger Finger . . Ableton Live 8 . Reason 5 . Logic 9 Express .

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Lambox View Post
    A big +1 for tweakheadz and gearslutz.

If you have specific questions about production, djtt is a great place to get help. A lot of people that creep around here do production work, too (myself included).

I wouldn't go out and buy the APC40 just yet though. Not that it isn't a quality piece of gear, I'm just saying it's not necessarily something you'll need, especially at first. Personally, I would suggest buying a keyboard controller, it will help tremendously with production. Something like the M-Audio Oxygen 8. Or, if you really want something with a couple pads (though nothing close to the APC40), you can pick up something like the M-Audio Axiom 25, which has 8 pads and a couple knobs.

I'm only suggesting these two things because, well, they're fairly inexpensive, and I guess I kind of assumed that you don't have loads of cash to be spending on something you're just getting into.

(On the other hand, if you have a lot of money, go buy the APC40, I will be infinitely jealous )

I would start by downloading demos of some production software, figure out what works for you, and try to figure out how to do some basic things.

Edit: I forgot to mention, the production software will be expensive if you decide not to use Ableton, I guess that's why I was tweaking out about the whole money issue

Money wouldn't be a huge issue. Mind you I don't have $4000 to spend on a keyboard but i'd rather buy something quality the first time around then buy something cheap and upgrade 12 months from now.

as far as software goes, I guess i'll take a look at some of those sites for people doing pro's and con's of each. I'd even be interested in taking some courses part-time if they weren't too expensive. Anyone done that?

Tech Guru

kvr + audionews

i'd never heard of the other ones mentioned (gearslutz +tweakheadz) but I bookmarked them for future reference, thanks for sharing fellas!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast