DJing with others in clubs/events

Default DJing with others in clubs/events

Hey,

This topic recently came up in another thread of mine and I was always curious...

I DJ in clubs around Philly, and it's always just me who is DJing, so I take care of marathon sessions.. 4, sometimes 5 hours, by myself. I get all the money paid (between $150-$200 a night) and I get to pick all the songs I want to play.
    How does this work generally when DJing with others? Ive been asked to DJ some events around the city with other DJs.. and I was wondering how payments work... and how do song choices go about?
    Do DJs meet up before a gig and kind of go over what songs they may be dropping (as to avoid repeats) and also how is the money divided/how does the club pay out different DJs?

Looking forward to input.
    I'm a fan of all things art. Music, film, photography, acting, dancing. Expression is powerful.
    www.twitter.com/mtlgrrr
    www.soundcloud.com/mtlgrrr
    www.facebook.com/mtlgrrr

what kind of stuff do you play?

Recently played an unrestricted genre set was early in night asked the next Dj if he wanted to go back and forth kinda tag team he said yes but I knew he wasn't really down or into it. Kind of sucked I enjoy that aspect of djing and having other djs around. But back on topic....

Firstly make sure you'd be getting paid if the money is more then the reward of playing yourself out more and so on.
    Next thing to make sure of is are these properly organized events this matters more then anything. Showing up to a event and having no information or organization is a terrible feeling.

I personally think if it doesn't sound too sketchy do it.

well when I DJ these clubs, its mainly top 40s and pop/house (calvin harris/guetta/afrojack) but this event I'll be doing is mainly dubstep/bass/trap
    I'm a fan of all things art. Music, film, photography, acting, dancing. Expression is powerful.
    www.twitter.com/mtlgrrr
    www.soundcloud.com/mtlgrrr
    www.facebook.com/mtlgrrr

I never had a problem with that.

Promotors contact me, we discuss about the payment and make a deal.
    I play what I play. They always contacted me because they knew what kind of music i play.
    When i see the line-up, i always listen to the other dj's mixtapes to have an idea about there taste.

Last sunday i played an openingset at a party. I had played a deep-house/uk-bass set and the dj after me played trap/dubstep/drum&bass.

Quote Originally Posted by djmetalgear View Post
    Hey,

This topic recently came up in another thread of mine and I was always curious...

I DJ in clubs around Philly, and it's always just me who is DJing, so I take care of marathon sessions.. 4, sometimes 5 hours, by myself. I get all the money paid (between $150-$200 a night) and I get to pick all the songs I want to play.
    How does this work generally when DJing with others? Ive been asked to DJ some events around the city with other DJs.. and I was wondering how payments work... and how do song choices go about?
    Do DJs meet up before a gig and kind of go over what songs they may be dropping (as to avoid repeats) and also how is the money divided/how does the club pay out different DJs?

Looking forward to input.
    I and a friend have a residency at a local club as a duo. (we do 50/50)
    The best option you have is to get to know eachother so well that you don't even have to ask to switch, or about what songs to put on or not.
    If you play before another dj, or after a main act late in the night, it is common practice that you don't play club bangers or top40, or generally songs that will get the crowd too excited.
    About payments, main act usually gets paid the most, but you can debate with the club owner if you have a longer set, for example