1st gig for a Pacific Islander wedding!
    Tech Wizard

Default 1st gig for a Pacific Islander wedding!

Hey! I don't know what the heck to play for a family that is tongin, and Hawaiian. Please help me? I've DJed for white people.

Tech Mentor

Ask them what sort of music they like, as you would for "white people" as you put it.

Tech Wizard

I did and they said they like Pacific Islander music, wich I'm assuming is like some sort of reggae? Usually for a regular wedding its easier to figure playing the classics mixed with sum top 40. And then special dances. I guess what I'm asking is if any of you have had a gig like this? And what did you play?

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Ask them for examples, Reggae is from Jamaica and last time I checked that is located in the Caribbean (Atlantic), not the Pacific.

Tech Mentor

If you are doing a wedding you should have a consult with the bride and groom to find out what kind of music they like (top 5 songs in their ipod for example) as well as what they want their intro music to be as well as first dance, things like that.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by DJ7Star View Post
    I did and they said they like Pacific Islander music, wich I'm assuming is like some sort of reggae? Usually for a regular wedding its easier to figure playing the classics mixed with sum top 40. And then special dances. I guess what I'm asking is if any of you have had a gig like this? And what did you play?
    Rofl... the ignorance. Completely mixed up your oceans there...

A quick google of pacific islander music would have given you something else.

Tech Wizard

Some country's and races share similar tastes in music lol. If any of you have delt with brides you would know that in some cases they themselves don't even know what they want. I will ask her for her top five tho. I just wanted to get ideas from people who have DJed for these ethnic groups since this would be my first