1/4'' Outputs and cables and mono signals
    Tech Convert

Default 1/4'' Outputs and cables and mono signals

Hey folks

So i recently picked up an Akai EIE Pro and a Behringer DDM4000. The Akai has 4 balanced 1/4'' outputs that supposedly output a stereo signal.

My problem: I can't get the either the soundcard to output a L/R signal no matter what configuration I use OR the cabling set up properly. I've read both skimpy manuals and scoured the interwebs for an answer with no luck. I have a feeling this is just my incorrect choice of cabling. Right now, outputs 1 and 2 have 1/4'' TRS cables with a Y cable (1/4'' to RCA) adapted plugged into inputs 1 and 2 of the mixer. I only get the left side from both channels. If I've read correctly, both cables should be sending a stereo signal that split left and right by the Y-cable.

Is this an issue with the soundcard? Or should I be using a 1/4'' TRS that splits into L/R TRS cables with RCA adapters on either end?

Feel free to call me an idiot, as that's what I feel like right now.

Tech Mentor

Your interface has 4 individual outs which can be assigned as two stereo pairs.

If you want a straight stereo signal out of 1&2, you need a pair of mono (TS) jacks, each of which goes to a single RCA at the other end.

You then assign outputs 1&2 to master L&R in your software.

If you have loads of regular RCA cables lying around, the cheapest option would be to buy a pair of RCA to mono jack adapters.

Tech Convert

'tall makes sense now. cheers

Tbh the EIE Pro isn't really a DJ interface, I'll explain why in a second.

Firstly, you've made the traditional cabling mistake :P TRS is either balanced mono, or unbalanced stereo; not both. In the EIE Pro's case, it's balanced mono. You can take an unbalanced signal out of a balanced socket by using a TS jack instead of a TRS; this then goes into one channel on your mixer as either a left or a right.

Now, this wouldn't be a problem with most 4-out audio interfaces, as it'll output a line level signal on all channels. The EIE Pro, however, is different. Outputs 1 and 2's volume is controlled by the Master Level knob at the front; 3 and 4, however, are full volume regardless of what you set the knob to, which means you have no way of limiting their output gain. This may or may not be a problem, depending on the tolerances of the DDM4000. Either way, you'll need to set the Master Level knob to full in order to have all 4 outputs at the same level.

Good luck!