DJ Duos.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DJ Duos.

Default DJ Duos.

Sup guys.

So yeah, DJ duos. Justice, Digitalism, Daft Punk.. Etc.

What do you guys think about em? Aside of loving them obviously.

Has anyone seen one tear it up live? And im not talking about your typical tag-team setup.

Furthermore, where the hell would you start if you wanted to colab with someone in a show like that?

Thoughts??
    [ ms ]

..thoughts.. well throw a party / invite one other DJ that you know you an get along with .. trade tracks / go one for one on the decks... ? see if you can mix along with each other. / don't sarifice creativity for adherance to some sort of RULE STRUCTURE except of course .. the one main rule 'keep the party banging'

yeah i know whatcha mean, we do that alot, im good friends with alot of pretty good djs, but i really want to be able to really build tracks and take it that extra step. its just s damn big jump going from straight mixing to integrating entire setups for a real 'performance' ya kno?

on a side note, has any1 seen justice's setup? totally amazing.
    [ ms ]

IMO ... the best duos I know of are simply cooperating and maintaining a great flow. Everything develops from that. NEcessity will dictate set-up. Creating necessity depends on the severity of the situation. LIKE a severe party is going to make you learn how to integrate with another artist/DJ and definately DJing is the fastest and most convenient way to rock people.. Thats why theres billions of people on the tip right now. Check out Modeselektor/Moderat's setup They have a great work environment figured out. Can the regular Joe afford it .. NO.. But yea .. those guys click.

and just because its one of the greatest kills ive ever seen check out the picture.. and dudes mpd24
    Last edited by audiomontana; 08-30-2009 at 11:22 PM.

Tech Wizard

I've seen MSTRKRFT many times live.. I think having the 4 hands on the decks and mixer makes it sound like they're mixing in Ableton.. Perfect execution, transitions, effects, etc.. Such a joy seeing them live.

I think working with someone else would be extremely difficult. You'd have to be on like the same mental level, and be comfortable not only with your own mixing style, but the other DJ's as well. I would also guess that not every DJ would work well with another. I probably wouldn't.

But on the other hand, look at how bands work together. I guess in order to work with someone else, it requires a huge level of practice - like anything else. I imagine that when you do something like that, you're not only DJing for the crowd, but you're DJing for the person next to you. Let the crowd dance, and set the other guy next to you do the same.

(If that giant ramble didn't make any sense, I apologize. I couldn't figure out how to say what I wanted to )
    LamboxMusic.com
    Newest release: A Pimp's Overture in B-Flat Minor
    Check out my free "Robo Rhythm" EP: Here

Soundcloud - Facebook - Twitter

^ agreed.

my opinion on it is you can't just colab with any other DJ, and have it sound good. everyone has their own styles, and some can't get out of them. with the famous collabos i think it's a combination of them having the same "sound" in their head, similar styles, etc. you gotta find someone you really "click" with when mixing.

but when it happens, it fkin HAPPENS.
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition

Tech Guru

allow me to school you kids.

Exhibit A : Hifana
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lbAZOCR3qw

Exhibit B: Strictly Kev + DK
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9FoOSgC32o

Exhibit C: Coldcut
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41VOvxj0Khc

3 of my favourite DJ acts ( duo, solo, group whatever) of all time. So you know what I think of dj duos! I also got to see Coldcut live, and they're amazing. Also super nice guys, Matt and John hung around the club after to chat with fans and sign material it was cool getting to have a meet/greet with two of my heroes!
    Last edited by wrong chris; 08-31-2009 at 01:26 AM.

Tech Guru

oh yeah and how could i forget these guys... the very reason i got into djing/production in the first place! for real it was after seeing these guys perform live 10 years ago that made me want to seriously pursue music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBeBH2G26Ck

Tech Wizard

Please don't forget about Birdy Nam Nam

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PqvDwBOp9Y

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast