Pacha in Ibiza cutting top tier djs from their line up
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Default Pacha in Ibiza cutting top tier djs from their line up

“The D.J.’s wanted more money to play less,” said José Urgell, known as Piti, who is Mr. Urgell’s 65-year-old brother. “It was an abuse.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/08/ar...ity-shift.html

Tech Guru

something interesting is happening in Ibiza
    circo loco is not booking artists too, like DJ Sneak
    Screen Shot 2013-04-08 at 5.08.25 PM.jpg

I dont think Ibiza's ship is sunk just yet!

I can see where pacha's owners are coming from. The money is in the states, as Dance/EDM/House-whichever genre you want to label it as, has grown more accessible over the past few years. Naturally, Bigger DJ's will migrate there, or demand more.

I think Ibiza will always be the flagship party island, if only for the UK! Hopefully lesser known people will be brought up, which is the bit i enjoyed most about ibiza, which is finding new DJ's and parties, which hopefully be springing up to keep people coming back.

And if it knocks 10 euro off the tickets prices, i say bring it on!
    A+H DB4, Technics 1210's x2, F1, X1MK2 x2, MaschineMk2, Akai LPK 25, MF3D, XDJ-1000 x2.

Money is only in the states if you are some big commercial clown (aoki, deadmess, guetta, etc.) or like a straight up household name artist (hawtin, dubfire, etc.)... Underground artists, such as techno artists like myself are not demanding six figures to play, not even the higher tier techno artists... There is more money overseas for underground artists.

Quote Originally Posted by LanceBlaise View Post
    Money is only in the states if you are some big commercial clown (aoki, deadmess, guetta, etc.) or like a straight up household name artist (hawtin, dubfire, etc.)... Underground artists, such as techno artists like myself are not demanding six figures to play, not even the higher tier techno artists... There is more money overseas for underground artists.
    This.

About time I say, no one deserves the amount of money some of those DJ's are demanding per gig. It's unlikely that it will make the entry prices to the clubs in Ibiza any cheaper though, unfortunately that's just not how the world works.

To fly from USA to Ibiza round trip is like $1600. Working poor Americans just can't swing it. But maybe a trip to Vegas in in my future.

Quote Originally Posted by 031999 View Post
    To fly from USA to Ibiza round trip is like $1600. Working poor Americans just can't swing it. But maybe a trip to Vegas in in my future.
    You can find way cheaper flights than that... But yeah, its certainly not as cheap as it is for Europeans.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by DubluW View Post
    I dont think Ibiza's ship is sunk just yet!

I can see where pacha's owners are coming from. The money is in the states, as Dance/EDM/House-whichever genre you want to label it as, has grown more accessible over the past few years. Naturally, Bigger DJ's will migrate there, or demand more.

I think Ibiza will always be the flagship party island, if only for the UK! Hopefully lesser known people will be brought up, which is the bit i enjoyed most about ibiza, which is finding new DJ's and parties, which hopefully be springing up to keep people coming back.

And if it knocks 10 euro off the tickets prices, i say bring it on!
    Bigger DJs will migrate there? Like Lance says below, it's mainly the edm crap that goes there properly. Yeah, the real big DJs go there too but they certainly aren't migrating from Ibiza. Space, Ushuaia, DC10 and now Sankeys are where the big boys come out to play regularly, and are fully appreciated. It's also not 'only for the UK'. The island is full of Germans/Italians/Spanish etc. Solomun's new night at Pacha looks like it'll have some good lineups though, as well the the badly named 'Insane Ibiza' and Guy Gerber's night. Tiesto and the like can take their crowd elsewhere. He attracted every chav going.

Vegas is not attracting anyone away from Ibiza either, that's ridiculous.

This is a better direction for Pacha though. Just ditch Guetta now.

Quote Originally Posted by LanceBlaise View Post

I wonder how this is going to affect the bottom line for them....

They sound just as greedy as the djs...their business has blown up and now they deny the people who brought them where they are.

Not to be extreme, but this could probably just drive the whole thing underground again or at least big venues aren't going to be relevant anymore.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast