Redlining - how bad is it? - Page 4
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by 031999 View Post
    So let me try to sum up a few things for my own education. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I've played clubs and parties for a few years now, but never on my own system. Well I just started doing mobiles, I have two double 15" + tweeter cabs. Sending 1500w apiece, speakers are rated properly and the amp is matched. So last week I did a gig with 200 people my amps were at about level 7 and my mixer was certainly not clipping but was definitely really loud. But the amp was clipping like a mofo, showing me red on the limiter and sounding like shit. Now I'm sure that system should be plenty for that crowd, but it felt like I had to start maxing stuff out to be heard. Should I have taken my amp to the max? Turned down my mixer a bit, get a bigger system?? Haha idk
    Well for starters, I highly doubt you're pushing 1500w per speaker... your amp would be the size of a washing machine. Sounds like you've bought your gear based on PMPO ratings rather than RMS. I'm guessing your amp just isn't powerful enough; if your mixer's master output isn't clipping, then the input on your amp won't be either. It depends on whether or not the amp's clipping detection is based on its output stage or its input one; if it's the former, then having a different load (8 ohms vs 4 ohms, for example) can introduce clipping at less than full volume.

But regardless of all of that, if your gear isn't going loud enough without distortion, it's time to upgrade

Tech Guru

If you're sure the speakers can take much more volume it sounds like you need a more powerful amp. What are your amp+speaker specs?
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

@Mcdesign Thank you sir for your answer. I will do some investigation

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Some Amps show clipping on the input rather than output

Well for starters, I highly doubt you're pushing 1500w per speaker... your amp would be the size of a washing machine.
    Why ? Maybe Reloops 1500w amps are the size of washing machines ?

There are tons on 1500w amplifiers on the market that are a standard 19' 2U size that can push out that kind of power. Crown & Behringer to name just two readily available "real" 1500w (@8ohm) off the top of my head.

However the majority of "1500" Watts Per channel amps are rated @ 4ohms, and 600W into 8 ohm boxes.
    Last edited by deevey; 04-16-2013 at 09:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mdcdesign View Post
    Well for starters, I highly doubt you're pushing 1500w per speaker... your amp would be the size of a washing machine.
    Class D architecture is a beautiful thing. Crown's XLS series make 1500W+, weigh less than 10lbs and fit in 2 rack spaces

Quote Originally Posted by deevey View Post

Why ? Maybe Reloops 1500w amps are the size of washing machines ?

There are tons on 1500w amplifiers on the market that are a standard 19' 2U size that can push out that kind of power. Crown & Behringer to name just two readily available "real" 1500w (@8ohm) off the top of my head.

However the majority of "1500" Watts Per channel amps are rated @ 4ohms, and 600W into 8 ohm boxes.

Quote Originally Posted by Sample Seven View Post
    Class D architecture is a beautiful thing. Crown's XLS series make 1500W+, weigh less than 10lbs and fit in 2 rack spaces
    Oh look, people still think the number on the spec sheet represents actual RMS power. The largest Crown XLS series is rated at 1550w when bridged at 8ohms. Off the top of my head, I'd estimate that actually levels at around ~900-1000 RMS, and that's probably just me putting too much faith in JBL. The Behringer and Reloop offerings are a joke, and wouldn't level anywhere near that.

Quote Originally Posted by KS2 View Post
    Been there. What are you meant to do when it's set up like that when you jump on?
    TBH, I have no idea. I always face the personal dilemma that mentioned previously.

Quote Originally Posted by Shishdisma View Post
    Brake/backspin, talk a little bit, and reset the floor. The dance floor shuffling around/cooling off a bit for a minute isn't going to ruin anyone's night if it's done smoothly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hellnegative View Post
    This. Take the time to build hype within the crowd. A couple minutes of downtime for people to go grab drinks is not gonna cause any complaints.
    Agree with both of the above points, but I, personally, wouldn't attempt that without having the sound engineer with me to re-adjust the levels once the music starts back up. Depending on how loud it was, healthy levels on the mixer could be too low for the club and that should be compensated for as well.
    MacBook Pro 2.4GHz Core i7 :: Mac OS X Mountain Lion 10.10.5
    Traktor Pro 2.9 :: Launchpad :: MIDI Fighter Pro Beatmasher/3D

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

In honestly have and probably will again redline mixers, not a constant red line mind you, but flashing into the red.

Example: In a regular Saturday night residency I had the Bar Manager refused to turn the Amp up, leaving me with no option but to turn my mixer up to red-red-red levels by the end of the night. The claim was that "Other Dj's use it like that" ..... the other DJ's also drove the crap out of the mixer which I did not want to do. Although I managed to get the message through after a few weeks by just refusing to turn the mixer past yellow when the owner walked in and cranked the amps up

Never had the problem again.

A simple gesture to the engineer on duty (if there is one) to let him know that you'll bring it down if he brings it up normally does the trick.

Another residency I had running for short bursts into the red @ peak times on the master was the accepted norm although it was a formula sound mixer and Turbosound rig, it NEVER ever sounded bad except ONCE !

A particularly big Techno DJ decided he knew best and:

A) Clipped all input channels and ran out of Channel Gain for mixing properly
    B) Blew the DJ monitor in my ear - thank christ I was wearing plugs that night!
    C) Blew the DJ monitor Amp. Thankfully I was able to pull the amp volumes down before damage was done to the main rig.

The largest Crown XLS series is rated at 1550w when bridged at 8ohms. Off the top of my head
    Check the Macro-tech & I-tech series

Maybe Reloops 1500w amps are the size of washing machines ?
    That was a gentle dig at MDC

On our DJM600 we have drunk resistant clear tape across the master fader at about 3/4 volume.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Quote Originally Posted by Jester View Post
    On our DJM600 we have drunk resistant clear tape across the master fader at about 3/4 volume.
    That's because it's stupidly bloody easy to accidentally hit the master fader when you're aiming for the 4th channel fader. Made that mistake a few times tonight. What I wouldn't give for a house mixer with a master knob.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast