Why cutting my low freq makes my sound louder in db ?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Question Why cutting my low freq makes my sound louder in db ?

Hi ! I use Live 9.
    When i cut the low frequencies (the 3 point) with equ Eight, the db gets higher.
    I don't understand why because normaly if i cut low frequencies the sound is supposed to get lower

Here's pictures of my problem
    (first picture, i didn't cut the lows and the sound peaks at 0db; second picture i've got the low and the sound is way over 0 db)
    Capture d’écran 2013-04-13 à 04.28.41.jpgCapture d’écran 2013-04-13 à 04.28.47.jpg
    Last edited by YaYa; 04-13-2013 at 07:09 PM.

Tech Mentor

Here's a video explaining my problem:

Tech Mentor

Seriusly ? no one has an answer ?

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Do you have anything on the master channel ?

Another idea: Maybe it's phase shift above the cutting frequency? With minimum phase EQs like the EQ8, that can sometimes happen.

Have you tried it with a linear phase EQ? If that fixes it, it would prove my theory correct.

EDIT: Here's a free one you can try it out with.

Tech Mentor

@deevey: nop, there's nothing on my master channel

@ Sachemdot: I'm sorry for my poor english but what is a phase shift (above the cutting frequency). (and linear phase is the EQ 8 right ?)
    i tried the same thing with an Eq from fabfilter (Pro-Q) and i have the same problem when i'm cutting certain frequencies like the ones bellow 100hz

Tech Guru

OK...first two explanations that do not apply.

The energy content of most music varies as 1/f. The general rule of thumb is that this variation is -3dB/oct (which is the profile of pink noise). For each octave of content you remove from the low end, the overall power contained in the remaining content drops by half. That reduction in the power content of the music allows the PA system to produce the remaining content at higher SPL levels.

The Equal Loudness Curves show that the human auditory system is relatively insensitive to low frequency content. When that content is removed, the relative perception of the SPL is small. If there is even a modest increase in the mid's the corresponding perception of the increase in SPL is large(r).

Those two explanations apply to sound that is being produced by speakers, and heard by humans. The problem that you illustrate is one that appears to be contained entirely in a DAW. So, clearly those explanations do not apply. Here is one that might:

I suspect that the reduction in the low frequency content is not being applied to the "master channel" only. I suspect that Live is applying the EQ to each instrument or sample that is contributing to the overall sound...and to any higher order harmonics that are also being produced by those instruments or samples. I also suspect that the higher order harmonics produced by the low end instruments are out of phase with other instruments. Removing the lower frequency content and harmonics allows the higher frequency content instruments to be modeled at their full signal level.

As an experiment, try to isolate the specific samples, or instruments that are producing the low frequency content and "mute" those instruments without applying the EQ. If you see the same rise in overall signal level, that is good indication of the phase issue I just described.
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

Tech Mentor

OK HUGE UPDATE ! i tried to cut the lows with garage band and i have the same problem.
    Is it possible that i have something in my computer (like in some vst files) that screw up my equalization ?
    if yes do you have an idea what it could be?

Tech Mentor

The easiest way to know is to format your computer.
    Last edited by lapinfuu; 04-22-2013 at 02:00 PM.

Tech Wizard

Did you try and use a high pass filter?
    Try a different plugin?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast