Ableton + Turntables

Default Ableton + Turntables

Hello!
    I'm new to this whole scene, and more than a bit clueless. However, I have a copy of ableton, and am working on figuring it all out. I'm interested in experimenting with using turntables. Is there any way I could potentially use a turntable-style controller to warp/manipulate clips in ableton? Also, if so, does anyone have any tips for anything that I should look at?
    Thanks!

Tech Wizard

When you say manipulate clips, do you mean pitch bend and scratching? If so, something like the Bridge (running Serato and Ableton together) will do the trick. You can run some other dj software inside Ableton as a vst too, though it seems this isn't really what you want to achieve.

If you mean you want to make audio clips in ableton behave like traktor or Serato in the way they respond to tcv, I think maybe you're barking up the wrong tree and would be better off with traktor or Serato.

Don't get me wrong, Ableton is great for production and live performance. It's a very versatile software and you can make it do almost anything you want, but often trying to replicate the features of dedicated DJ software is pretty long winded, and you can save yourself a lot of hassle by using a product that was designed to do what you are trying to achieve (I.e. Traktor or Serato).
    Last edited by olisharp; 04-14-2013 at 05:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by olisharp View Post
    When you say manipulate clips, do you mean pitch bend and scratching? If so, something like the Bridge (running Serato and Ableton together) will do the trick. You can run some other dj software inside Ableton as a vst too, though it seems this isn't really what you want to achieve.

If you mean you want to make audio clips in ableton behave like traktor or Serato in the way they respond to tcv, I think maybe you're barking up the wrong tree and would be better off with traktor or Serato.

Don't get me wrong, Ableton is great for production and live performance. It's a very versatile software and you can make it do almost anything you want, but often trying to replicate the features of dedicated DJ software is pretty long winded, and you can save yourself a lot of hassle by using a product that was designed to do what you are trying to achieve (I.e. Traktor or Serato).
    Unfortunately, the bridge has been discontinued, and "something like the bridge" doesn't exist yet...
    Quote Originally Posted by donstone View Post
    I only use VINYL flooring. Rugs are for cheaters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    If you can't find an Abba song that you like, you are a liar of the highest order.

APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

Ammobox? Now THERE'S a blast from the past...
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

HAHAHAHAHA!

If it works...it works!

APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin