Looking for a "mixing controller"

Default Looking for a "mixing controller"

Hi,

I've DJed before on some CDJs 2000 and a DJM2000, but I am now switching to DJing with Ableton Live (I'm also planning to produce my own tracks so using only one piece of software will make everything easier for me...and I can do pretty much anything I want with Live's effects possibilities).

I already have Ableton Push which I'm going to use for clip launching (color coding is amazing for this...I have colors for different parts of songs : all breakdowns in pink, vocal samples in red, buildups in orange, main parts in blue...), an iPad which will certainly be used for effects with TouchOSC, and a NI Maschine for sampling (drum loops, vocals...).

What is missing is a "mixing controller". Right now I'm using TouchOSC for this, but it's not that great (no real faders and pots...).
    Basic functions I would need are :
    - channel volume fader
    - 3-band eq pots
    - 1 filter pot per channel
    "Would be nice" features :
    - a good crossfader
    - 2 pots per channel for effects sends
    - a big pots section for FX control

So that is what I am looking for.

So far, the options I have found are :

- Vestax VCM600. Seems to be quite good. But big and heavy!
    - Behringer CMD MM1. Not available yet, and would be a "basic" solution, but compact and not very expensive! (plus a cool USB hub)
    - Xone K2. But I don't like the faders (not "DJ" style but "studio" style...I know you can replace these...but I'd rather not do that). And I don't know if I would really use all the buttons...
    - Buy a mixer and use it as MIDI controller and sound interface if that's possible. Would be more expensive than the other solutions, but would work and be quite flexible. I'm thinking about the DJM-850 for example.

So now, what do you think about the options I'm listing here, and do you know any other controller that would do the job ?

Thanks!

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Sounds like you need a UC-33e (8 channels, 1 fader and 3 knobs per channel) and a UC-16 (8 channels, 2 knobs per channel).

I use Live with 4 channels, So I end up having 2 faders and 10 knobs per channel.

familyphotosmall.jpg

I have both, and I can't recommend them enough. The buttons on the UC-33e are mappable (I use them for mouseless navigation) but th ebuttons on the UC-16 aren't. A

Actually - you could get a UC-17 and get more mappable buttins AND the x-fader that you were looking for:

xsession-300x300.jpg
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

These UC controllers look good! Could be a good answer to my problem.

I'm still going to wait and see if someone comes up with other solutions.

I really love the workflow on DJM mixers (2000 and 800-850-900) and if I could get close to that, that would be perfect!