Recomended Synthesizer
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Recomended Synthesizer

Sup everyone, i just recently got payed a good amount of cash and i want to set up a small studio in my bedroom to begin production, i already have monitors, my laptop, computer and a midi controller, and now i would like to know what would be a good synth to buy pref with a vocoder, that does not go above $1000 US and that wont make me need to buy another one until i reach fame lol also if you could recomend me some other stuff to make some good production i would really apreciate it .. thanks !

Waldorf Blofeld.
    MacBook Pro 13 (Q1 2011) | Adam A5X | Akai APC20 | Alesis QX49 | Behringer BCR2000 | NI Komplete Audio 6

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by JDFS View Post
    Waldorf Blofeld.
    NI Massive

EDIT: Sorry didnt read the OP properly ignore me
    Technics 1210 mk2 Pair, Pioneer DJM600, Traktor Kontrol x1, NI Audio 6, NI Maschine Mikro MK2, MacBook 2009, iPad 2 with Traktor DJ, Pioneer HDJ-500, Shure M447's

synths are kind of a personal thing

you really need to decide what features and sound you want yourself, and if you are just getting into production you're probably not going to have any idea what you want or need (like why do you want a hardware synth with a vocoder?). If you haven't messed around with producing anything even ITB it's going to be hard to know what you want out of a hardware synth, and you're probably going to make a poor choice and waste your money if you try to get a hardware synth that does everything.

if you really want hardware get a basic monosynth with lots of knobs and limited/no patch memory- will be best to learn on and most fun and usable. Korg MS20 mini or moog sub phatty. Forget digital and hardware polysynths for now, use VSTs if you need polyphony. there's no one size fits all hardware synth, and the ones that try to be are pretty meh- a solid monosynth is the best start.

You should probably learn completely ITB for a while first before you think about hardware synths though, since it's really going to be even less use and more frustrating when you don't yet know how to even work a DAW or mix a track.
    Last edited by Xonetacular; 04-16-2013 at 09:32 AM.

Korg Triton. If you've already got a midi keyboard, you can pick up a used Triton Rack for $200-300 now, which is insane considering they used to cost $3k.

eh digital polysynths are a poor choice mostly. not particularly good at anything, there are VSTs that sound a lot better now (Diva for one among many others), and they generally aren't very knobby and have lots of menu diving so you don't get the tactile benefit of a lot of the new analog synths. I'm by no means an analog snob but there just aren't really any traditional pure digital hardware synths worth owning imo unless you are playing live in a band type setting or are a synth collector and already have some better synths.
    Last edited by Xonetacular; 04-16-2013 at 09:52 AM.

Tech Guru

You know I'm surprised that no company has come out with a sort of rental system for gear. I've gone through so many pieces of gear of the year and I've definitely lost money on stuff I thought I would use but ultimately wasn't for me. If there was a place where you could rent any synth and give it a solid 30 day work out I'd be all over it. Again the sub phatty is a synth I'd love to try but I can only buy it.

I'm in a similar situation. I've had a Korg MS2000 for the last 12 years or so which finally died on me and I've been looking for a replacement, so I can tell you what I've been looking at.

Dave smith instruments Morpho x4

Arturia MiniBrute

Moog Sub Phatty

Quote Originally Posted by rdej47 View Post
    You know I'm surprised that no company has come out with a sort of rental system for gear. I've gone through so many pieces of gear of the year and I've definitely lost money on stuff I thought I would use but ultimately wasn't for me. If there was a place where you could rent any synth and give it a solid 30 day work out I'd be all over it. Again the sub phatty is a synth I'd love to try but I can only buy it.
    There are some rentals available. Almost all DJ equipment like 1200s, CDJs, mixers, PA can be rented, and increasingly, it's possible to lease big studio pieces like a mixing desk.

Tech Wizard

I want to produce something like Chromeo and Deep House thats why i need something with the vocoder, what would be my best choice ?! thanks every one for your comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast