New guy need help.
    Tech Convert

Default New guy need help.

Hello guys, i know you're probably tired of seeing this type of thread but here comes another one :P.

I'm planning on being a Digital DJ, and i was thinking on using Ableton(currently downloading the demo), i was thinking that maybe any of you has any suggestion on what to get besides Ableton, because i'm new to the scene and i have no idea. I know that i will need a MIDI Keyboard, any Keyboard that you would recommend for a beginner?

Well that's basically it :P if you think that i will need something besides Ableton and a MIDI Keyboard(which i'm sure i will) then post it here, thanks in advance.

Are you wanting to be a DJ or a producer? If you want to DJ, Ableton and a keyboard won't be of much use to you. A midi controller with 2 platters, and a mixer section (S2/Mixtrack/BCD3000) and some DJ software (Traktor/Deckadance/Mixxx) is what you want. While you can DJ with ableton, it is made more for live (semi)pre-planned sets, not mixing tracks together.
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

Tech Mentor

Midi Fighter is a funny way to start if you want to finger drum, if you want to play with clip go for something like launchpad or midifighter 3d and if you want to do all go for push and go for ableton suite with all the packs and instruments, fx you have a solid base to start producing any kind of music.

edit; if you alleeady play piano go for a 61 key if you dont midi controller is better ( my advice ).
    Last edited by lapinfuu; 04-21-2013 at 01:19 PM.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by dripstep View Post
    Are you wanting to be a DJ or a producer? If you want to DJ, Ableton and a keyboard won't be of much use to you. A midi controller with 2 platters, and a mixer section (S2/Mixtrack/BCD3000) and some DJ software (Traktor/Deckadance/Mixxx) is what you want. While you can DJ with ableton, it is made more for live (semi)pre-planned sets, not mixing tracks together.
    My bad, i didn't specify that well haha, i'm looking forward to produce music.

So you want to produce, and not be a digital DJ. In that case, Ableton, a 49 key midi keyboard, and a BCR2000. I have an MAudio 49 key keyboard, and its great. 8 knobs, 8 faders, 49 keys and modulation knobs. The BCR is all knobs and lights, and will make things a bit easier with ableton (once knobs have been mapped). To start though, a keyboard will work just fine for you.

Unless you are looking at "live" producing (a la Madeon) then go for the new launchpad, or any other button grid controller for clip launching.
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by dripstep View Post
    So you want to produce, and not be a digital DJ. In that case, Ableton, a 49 key midi keyboard, and a BCR2000. I have an MAudio 49 key keyboard, and its great. 8 knobs, 8 faders, 49 keys and modulation knobs. The BCR is all knobs and lights, and will make things a bit easier with ableton (once knobs have been mapped). To start though, a keyboard will work just fine for you.

Unless you are looking at "live" producing (a la Madeon) then go for the new launchpad, or any other button grid controller for clip launching.
    Would you be so kind of explaining to be what is the BCR2000 for?

Tech Mentor

If you go for a keyboard I would more recommend novation mpulse than maudio axiom there is a videos explaining the differences between those two on youtube.

Tech Convert

I only really do production and I use FL 10 and an AKAI MPK 25.
    My background is also piano and I have found it pretty easy to work with 25 keys.
    This is also an inexpensive way to get into the field if you're not sure about it and don't want to blow a lot of money.

Logic pro is the best software in my opinion. First learn how to use the software. You can use your keyboard to make beats, after you've practiced properly then look into what kind of midi keyboard you want or need. A 25-key, 32-key, 49-key, 88-key. I use a m-audio mini 32. It was cheap and does the job.