Record with a condenser microphone, how to reduce background noise ?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Record with a condenser microphone, how to reduce background noise ?

Hello,

So my question is, is there a way to say to an Ableton track that every sound under a specific threshold should be mute ?

( My Processor make a -24 DB Noise on my records, I don't hear it every time but I think on a larger system it could be very annoying.)

I think there is surely something to do with gate or compressor or limiter but I don't want to hurt this new stuff so don't wanna try something I don't understand.

Thanks.

NoFuture

Gate

Tech Mentor

Thanks for the answer I've finally find a post on noise gate and I'm trying to make it work correctly.

Tech Wizard

Definitely gate. And of course make sure you apply the gate post-recording so you don't accidentally get any unwanted effect on the sound. Gate can be especially finicky, though the new gate in Live 9 has some options to help keep the gate from "chattering."

Tech Mentor

Thanks
    When you say apply then Gate post recording this mean that you record with nothing and then you put the Gate on the wav file ?

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by lapinfuu View Post
    Thanks
    When you say apply then Gate post recording this mean that you record with nothing and then you put the Gate on the wav file ?
    Everyone has their own rules and workflow (which is dependent on experience as well as what type of gear they use), but I would never record anything but a clean signal and apply effects/EQ later, just because I never know what I'm going to use my stems for and want the full audio signal captured. At the same time, my set-up is entirely digital and software-based. If I'm tracking with somebody who wants to feed off an effect, I'll double the track, with the effect on one and a clean signal on the other, recording both, but I'll generally only use the clean signal unless I'm having major issues with timing due to latency and for some reason can't make the necessary adjustments.

I'd be more concerned about the fact that the noise is there in the first place. Have you looked into figuring that out?

Tech Mentor

the unwanted noises comes from the computer processor's ventilation and and from thing like breath or finger hitting the body of the yukulélé yesterday for example but I think maybe I record at too high level I don't know Ill do more tests this week and give feedback. Thanks again for answering so fast.
    Last edited by lapinfuu; 04-21-2013 at 03:32 PM.

Tech Wizard

Okay, so you mean that because your microphone is so sensitive, the unwanted noise is, like, the sound of your computer fan and processor through the microphone and not digital noise or humming? That's not as much of a problem--pretty standard for bedroom-style set-ups, if that's what you have.

Tech Mentor

I will upload one of my record session tonight to show you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast