First Timecode Experience
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default First Timecode Experience

So a mate of mine just bought himself Scratch A6, and asked for my help setting up his timecode as he was experiencing some weird issues. So I went down during the day to our kinda "home" venue (we both work there) where was having a play in the booth during closed hours; here's the setup...

- 2x CDJ1000mk2s
    - 1x DJM-600
    - 1x Audio 6
    - MK2 Timecode CDs
    - MacBook Pro
    - Traktor 2.6.1

Everything was set up fine, timecode properly calibrated, etc etc. And now, here come the "bugs":

- Pitch control is... well... wank, tbh. Pitchfader doesn't move smoothly, and actually controlling the pitch to any reasonable standard is impossible.
    - Jogwheels are just as bad, scratch mode is "okayish" but pitchbending is terrible
    - Cueing is practically insane. You grab the first beat, hit cue, and it jumps forward and THEN starts playing. You can skip forward through the track using the jogwheel, but then pressing PLAY restarts the track completely.

I turned down the latency on the A6 to 4.9ms, which improved pitchbending slightly but not the tempo fader or the cueing issues. Am I missing something, or is timecode basically a joke compared to MIDI/HID control?

Tech Mentor

i havent had a problem with my timecode at all.

maybe ask Karlos on this one...
    Technics 1210 mk2 Pair, Pioneer DJM600, Traktor Kontrol x1, NI Audio 6, NI Maschine Mikro MK2, MacBook 2009, iPad 2 with Traktor DJ, Pioneer HDJ-500, Shure M447's

Quote Originally Posted by city_boy07 View Post
    maybe ask Karlos on this one...
    Karlos...

Awwwww... I was expecting this thread to convince me to take the jump and buy TSP2.5...

Good luck with your issues, though...
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    Awwwww... I was expecting this thread to convince me to take the jump and buy TSP2.5...

Good luck with your issues, though...
    Cheers mate Luckily it's not me who spent £300 on gear that MAY be pointless. I convinced him to make use of the A6 by giving the timecoded vinyl a shot and learning how to scratch, so at least it's not completely wasted.

Tech Wizard

Do you have keylock enabled on the cdj? It must be turned off for timecode function properly..

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mdcdesign View Post
    - Pitch control is... well... wank, tbh. Pitchfader doesn't move smoothly, and actually controlling the pitch to any reasonable standard is impossible.
    Do you mean the software fader lag, or do you have a noticeable audible lag in the pitch changing?

- Jogwheels are just as bad, scratch mode is "okayish" but pitchbending is terrible
    As with the pitch fader, are you measuring performance by what you hear or what you see? Pitch bend seems fine to me through timecode on my 2000s

- Cueing is practically insane. You grab the first beat, hit cue, and it jumps forward and THEN starts playing. You can skip forward through the track using the jogwheel, but then pressing PLAY restarts the track completely.
    This is the main drawback of timecode. It does not support instant cueing from standstill; the best you can achieve is by pressing Play then holding the track with the jog wheel, then cueing it in like vinyl.
    Not sure what you mean by "PLAY restarts the track completely" though?

Am I missing something, or is timecode basically a joke compared to MIDI/HID control?
    HID does blow timecode out of the water. You should get better platter performance in Traktor using timecode over MIDI, which is why Denon use their Hybrid Timecode+MIDI system.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Quote Originally Posted by makar1 View Post
    Do you mean the software fader lag, or do you have a noticeable audible lag in the pitch changing?

As with the pitch fader, are you measuring performance by what you hear or what you see? Pitch bend seems fine to me through timecode on my 2000s
    Ahhh... I just meant the software side of things. For example, starting off with one track at 128 and another at 126, actually adjusting the tempo of track B to 128 was a NIGHTMARE. The software fader jumping around like a maniac, etc. Well... not jumping as such, just uneven movement if you know what I mean?

This is the main drawback of timecode. It does not support instant cueing from standstill; the best you can achieve is by pressing Play then holding the track with the jog wheel, then cueing it in like vinyl.
    Oh he REALLY won't be happy with that lol. It's a shame NI don't make things like that clear BEFORE you buy the gear :-\ The play issue was weird... basically, you can seek fine using the jogwheel, but then pressing the Play/Pause button on the CDJ causes the track to play from the 1st cuepoint (load marker), NOT its current position. It was very, very bizarre.

HID does blow timecode out of the water. You should get better platter performance in Traktor using timecode over MIDI, which is why Denon use their Hybrid Timecode+MIDI system.
    That makes sense. I've recommended that if he wants to use "CDJ-style" devices to control Traktor (his main concern is apparently the "look" of his setup... he thinks that controllers are unprofessional for some reason), he get a MIDI crossmedia solution like the RMP-3s or some other MIDI/HID capable gear like 850s or 900s etc.

From what I've seen of timecode's limitations today, it makes more sense for a Traktor purist to go that route rather than timecode off the 1000s.

Cheers for all your input makar

Tech Mentor

MARKA, i use my tsp with vinyl. but next week im going to have to use it with the timecode cds... when you say timecode dus not support instant cueing from standstill, do you mean that if i cue a point on the cdj and then count the beats of my playin track and press play on the cdj in time with the down beat it wont play in time??

if this is the case i might just do the whole gig with just the x1?
    Technics 1210 mk2 Pair, Pioneer DJM600, Traktor Kontrol x1, NI Audio 6, NI Maschine Mikro MK2, MacBook 2009, iPad 2 with Traktor DJ, Pioneer HDJ-500, Shure M447's

Quote Originally Posted by city_boy07 View Post
    MARKA, i use my tsp with vinyl. but next week im going to have to use it with the timecode cds... when you say timecode dus not support instant cueing from standstill, do you mean that if i cue a point on the cdj and then count the beats of my playin track and press play on the cdj in time with the down beat it wont play in time??

if this is the case i might just do the whole gig with just the x1?
    From what I saw today, it's worse than that... it actually skips FORWARD by like a quarter of a beat and then starts playing, makes it basically impossible to drop a track on time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast