Where would I stand, legally speaking, on this idea?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Where would I stand, legally speaking, on this idea?

I like to consider myself pretty decent at beatgridding and warping tracks in Traktor and Ableton Live as well as ID3 tagging, normalising and key detecting. A few of my friends take advantage of my anal'ness and ask me to do all this tedious work to their collections so they don't have to.

If I were to offer a more public service whereby I would take someones collection (they would have to FTP or send me a cd) and do all the beatgrids, cue markers, warping, key detecting, etc etc for them, would I be on dodgy ground legally?

Since I'm not actually keeping copies of the music, there's been no 'theft', but it is unathorised (temporary) copying. I suppose its a similar argument to the '2nd hand mp3' sales you see on ebay sometimes (someone selling their legally acquired beatport mp3s because they no longer want them). In the these days of digital media, what do we actually 'own'? Can you actually 'own' (or copyright) a collection of 1's and 0's?

not sure but it sounds like what your doing is offering a service. the music would allready be owned supposedly by the person you would be doing this service for . therefore your not violating copyright laws. if i paid my friend to beatmap and warp my next set list he'd be working for me.all that is, is a service. and that reselling your mp3's is an interesting question because i can go buy someones used vinyl but i can't buy a used mp3 interesting?

The difference is not in the medium, but in the license attached to it. Whether its something physical like a piece of vinyl or more ethereal like an mp3.

By the sounds of it, your services should be legal.. after all, if you travelled to the persons house to do the beat gridding on their files, I can't see there being an issue.

However, because it is likely to involve copying the digital data, you will need to check the license conditions attached to the download of that mp3. Beatport and other sites are legally obliged to show you the terms under which you are downloading.

That said.. given that you are not copying and redistributing the material, I would find it HIGHLY unlikely that anyone would give it a second look.
    www.djmoonie.co.uk
    The Left for dead show
    (GMT+0) Tuesdays Midnight til 1.30am, on www.phonic.fm,
    or 106.8fm in the south west of england.
    For private bookings, please use www.djmoonie.com

A pair of guys in the ALDJ forum are already offering that service, just do it.
    "I was caught so many times getting oral sex in the booth it was disgusting. I would tell the girls, "Bet you can't make me miss a beat"" (Francis Grasso)

Home
    Mixcloud

okay - so it sounds like it might be feasible.... so I guess the question is what would people be willing to pay for such a service? and would there even be a demand for it?

there is such a service on the net some where. There is a post on it some where.

Tech Mentor

here are two service providers that have been doing this for a while

http://www.warpingableton.com/

http://www.vonsdigital.com/ableton_live_warping.php

As for pricing.. go research your market..
    www.djmoonie.co.uk
    The Left for dead show
    (GMT+0) Tuesdays Midnight til 1.30am, on www.phonic.fm,
    or 106.8fm in the south west of england.
    For private bookings, please use www.djmoonie.com

I think technically it would be illeagle if they posted you the files, but i highly doubt anyone is going to bust you for this.

Quote Originally Posted by MiL0 View Post
    Can you actually 'own' (or copyright) a collection of 1's and 0's?
    Sadly yes !

just put in your business statement somewhere that you will *only* work on legally purchased files. whether you actually do or not is your choice, but this clause protects you from becoming a "partner in crime" (not a legal term :P). as previously stated, the music is simply the media being worked on.

it's kind of like a car mechanic: the cops aren't going to bust them for working on a car that isn't theirs, test driving it around to make sure everything is ok. the original owner has given temporary ownership to you to perform a service on their property, as long as you are not keeping it, copying it, distributing it, you're totally fine.
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast