Jumping in head first - DDJ-SX or go big?

Default Jumping in head first - DDJ-SX or go big?

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum. Been lurking a few days and doing lots of reading. I'm sure you guys get a ton of these posts, but please be patient. Looking for some legit input and feedback.

Here is my deal. I've been creating music for over 20 years now. Started playing guitar and bass in jr. high. Still play regularly. About 10 years ago I started my journey into digital music and have made tons of stuff for my video work. I work in television M-F 9-???(whenever the work is done). Using a variety of tools over the years it's something I love to do - but typically only 20-30 audio projects a year and typically shorter pieces for commercials and show promos.

I can record in Pro Tools and typically end up in Logic. (OLD VERSION before Apple Destroyed it) and still use Sound Track Pro for certain things and it all ends up in Avid.

So, not even totally sure how I ended up here but I want to start DJing.

I've looked at just jumping in and going big with a full Nexus system - seems absurd I'm sure but in my mind it seems like the way to go if thats where you would want to end up eventually anyway.

However, common sense, and my wife set in and I started looking at less expensive options to at least get going and learn. I was all set on a little S4 until I did a bunch of research. I'm sure there are lots of happy users out there though. Still, some of those issues I just don't want to ever have to deal with.

OK, all that being said; I'm now leaning towards a DDJ-SX. I've read what I could find and watched a ton of youtube vids and I think this is a good way to start. However, my total lack of expeirnece leaves me wondering if there is a better way to go. Most of my "hobbies" stick around forever, and I make money with a lot of them. (Video, Photography, painting, animation) So I believe this will fit right into my little world of creativity.

Looking for some real feedback on getting started and if you guys think that's a good unit to start with.

Thanks for your time.

Tech Guru

If you're going for controllers the best thing to do is try out the software 1st, as controllers tend to perform better for the software they were designed for.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Honestly traktor is loads of fun but basics are key I come from a classical music background growing up playing stringed instruments at a young ages. I started djing in late 90s. Learned the basics on turntables and early cdjs. Enjoyed the controller evolution fed mostly by traktor. I used traktor as early as 1.06 a used Stanton final scratch aka traktor scratch. I find with the multitude of experience and easily affordable and available controllers. I use serato Dj the most with my ns6. When I laydown a 3 to 6 hour set I'm not going to load up on massive effects I am going to showcase track progression(harmonic progression/musical progression) going to go for long melodic mixes. This is my style coming from my background. I may pass 4 or more genres in a set. Sometimes wishing I had traktors effects however again feel at home with serato Dj. It reminds me of playing Gigs when I was younger and rocking out some large clubs and festivals or warehouses where there was generators power only
    The essential equipment.

Tl;dr find a controller that you feel solid on. Do yourself a favor and learn the basic fundamentals of djing before trying to be At the top. If your talent is there it will get noticed by minimally putting it out there. I recommend a serato controller not because you can map to traktor an with a traktor or others you can't map to serato right

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by makar1 View Post
    If you're going for controllers the best thing to do is try out the software 1st, as controllers tend to perform better for the software they were designed for.
    Definitely do this, or even see if you can try out controllers with software first either that your friends have or at the music shop...

It's your budget. Part of any purchase should be made with your "level of acceptable loss" in mind. Can you deal with $5500 just sitting in your house? Do you have the time to sacrifice? Would you be willing to sell it for half of what you bought it for? IMO, anything from $200 - $10,000 is pretty much going to do the same thing - Its going to play music. The level of quality does, or at least hopefully, go up with your increased $ value. Everything else is just a benefit to your growth, style, workflow... and the more shiny it is, the bigger your wallet aka DJ nutsack is.

Whatever you decide on, may you enjoy it to its fullest. Remember - Practice, practice, practice... and record everything ... oh and Welcome!
    The MUSIC is what matters!
    Everything else is _________

You guys are rad. Thanks for the feedback. I'm headed to GC and Sam Ash tomorrow to spend a few hours.

Looks like Sam ash has a 4 week FREE DJ class as well. I'm thinking may be a good way to get to learn a bit more before spending any dough.

Thanks again. Ill keep you guys posted on my progress.

So. For now. I ended up with an Ableton Push and am "pushing" my production skills up a few notches.

The more I learn the more I'm leaning towards a nice mixer and cdj / control surface setup.