Can Sync hold a DJ back?
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
    Tech Guru

Default Can Sync hold a DJ back?

I was originally going to post this in the other Sync thread that was started today, but out of respect for the OP, I thought it would be better if I just started my own thread. Hopefully the replies (if any) are just as friendly

Does anyone think that Sync can seriously handcuff DJ's into being stuck in the same tempo range with all their music, or maybe just not being versatile enough to mix in different tempos, at a moments notice, at will, constantly throughout the night? or handcuff them from learning any other transitions, and just relying heavily on blending? If so, do you think Sync does more harm than good to those DJ's who are just starting out?

I've kinda seen this trend in people who started w/ Sync and use Sync, and have been DJ'n anywhere from 3 years or less, so these questions are mostly directed at that crowd

Tech Guru

Sync doesn't stop you from changing the tempo, so I wouldn't say that it's responsible for this.
    However, I've noticed that some people drop too many tunes too quickly because they've got nothing else to do and don't wanna seem like they aren't doing anything.

Quote Originally Posted by manchild View Post
    Does anyone think that Sync can seriously handcuff DJ's
    I think it can. But only if you let it handcuff your creativity.
    If I mix in sync it gives me more time to do other stuff such as looping, cue-point jumping, and adding effects when mixing one song into an other or playing 2 songs together for a longer time.

But I do like to beatmix as well, it depends on the situation.

For me it doesn't handcuff me.

Tech Mentor

It can in a way be bad. If you can manually beatmatch then you will be able to use Technics or CDJs. Being able to use all formats and all types of gear will open you up to more venues and connections. Depending on what circles you roll in it can also get you respect. Also, your computer will definitely crash at some point. If your playing a club that has CDJs(which most do) and your computer crashes then you can just pop in a CD.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by manchild View Post
    Does anyone think that Sync can seriously handcuff DJ's into being stuck in the same tempo range with all their music, or maybe just not being versatile enough to mix in different tempos, at a moments notice, at will, constantly throughout the night? or handcuff them from learning any other transitions, and just relying heavily on blending? If so, do you think Sync does more harm than good to those DJ's who are just starting out?
    Surely it can hold DJs back. There are lots of things that hold some DJs back indirectly/unintentionally. Even things as positive as DJ schools and tutorials, as much as they help people get started quicker, can limit how they look at the artform as well. I think both things are a cases of giving a man a fish vs. teaching a man how to fish. Some people are going to use the tools given to them as a stepping stone, and some aren't going to look any further.

I'd say it definitely does a bit more harm for most beginners, but it's hard to quantify how much harm it really does. I don't think it's something that will make or break a potentially great DJ, it's probably just people who would suck anyways who would be that held back from it, lol. I think DJs who are gonna become good are gonna try to learn as much as they possibly can anyways and not just use sync as a crutch.
    2012 DMC Supremacy World Champ + IDA World Champ

sebastiannz

Quote Originally Posted by DISaS73R View Post
    Sync doesn't stop you from changing the tempo, so I wouldn't say that it's responsible for this.
    However, I've noticed that some people drop too many tunes too quickly because they've got nothing else to do and don't wanna seem like they aren't doing anything.
    I do this myself and it creates shitty sounding mixes. I think that's what happens when you have too much time. But once you get over doing this...and realise it sounds crap, you'll start to use the time properly. Being more creative, choosing better tracks etc. Just takes time for people to adjust.

Traktor's BeatSync seems really limiting - it makes it tough to do double-ups and other kinds of trick mixing. Temposync is no so much a big deal to me.

In the end, though, the sync button also turns sync off - it isn't limiting because it doesn't need to be used.

Quote Originally Posted by sebastiannz View Post
    I do this myself and it creates shitty sounding mixes. I think that's what happens when you have too much time. But once you get over doing this...and realise it sounds crap, you'll start to use the time properly. Being more creative, choosing better tracks etc. Just takes time for people to adjust.
    +1... great mix BTW.

The only thing that is going to limit a DJ, is the DJ(or what they allow them self to be limited by).
    The MUSIC is what matters!
    Everything else is _________

Tech Guru

Sync certainly should not be relied on by beginners until they have learned the basics of beatmatching manually. Beatsync can be quite restricting compared to Temposync, as a beginner may not realise when the phase is off if they have no beatmatching experience.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Quote Originally Posted by makar1 View Post
    Sync certainly should not be relied on by beginners until they have learned the basics of beatmatching manually. Beatsync can be quite restricting compared to Temposync, as a beginner may not realise when the phase is off if they have no beatmatching experience.
    i feel the exact opposite. i think sync should definitely be relied on by beginners until they have the learned the basics of djing. throwing beatmatching on top of everything else is usually a frustrating endeavor...i know it was for me when i started before all this software came out. i had no choice though, and had to keep banging away until it all started to make sense. technology now allows you to learn a bit more incrementally, which seems better for most people. once you've got the phrasing, eq, and ability to pick proper tracks while keeping a good flow...that's when you should learn to beatmatch imo.
    tsp 2.5 | vci-400 ege | mfspectra | kontrol x1s | rokit 8s (ferrari grey) | krk 10 sub | audio 8
    hp dv6 - i5 - 8gb | maschine | mpk49 | apc40 | rokit 5s | technics sl-1200mk3ds | cdj100s
    thread of free music

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast