Intigrating Live Sequencer (Maschine) into your Dj Sets?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Intigrating Live Sequencer (Maschine) into your Dj Sets?

Hey Guys,

Ive done a search but everything comes up with how to Sync maschine and traktor.

What i want to discuss is what we do 'After' we have got them synced...

Last night i gave this sync a go and got it up and running in a jiffy...

Fun - YES, Annoying - YES

It seems the levels on the Maschine running through the 4th channel on my DJM were just soo loud, even after turning the output from maschine down to the same as my track decks it still sounded like a kick drum was distorted.. (maybe this is just my levels on the maschine software)

Hi Hats and Snares worked well layered on to my track decks, although i found the whole sound of the maschine channel to sound quite gimmicky, is this because the sounds are all midi notes and not been mastered down?

Anyway what im asking is how do you, (those that actually do) incorporate maschine or any other sequencer, apc etc etc into your dj sets?

I cant see myself using more then the occasional drum sequence here and there??

Discuss
    Technics 1210 mk2 Pair, Pioneer DJM600, Traktor Kontrol x1, NI Audio 6, NI Maschine Mikro MK2, MacBook 2009, iPad 2 with Traktor DJ, Pioneer HDJ-500, Shure M447's

Tech Guru

what soundcard are you using to output the sound in maschine?

I run my maschine output from a channel on my audio 8 into my mixer and it sounds solid. I don't try and sync maschine into traktor though.
    Last edited by oliosky; 04-23-2013 at 04:43 AM.

Tech Mentor

Audio 10 Oliosky!
    Technics 1210 mk2 Pair, Pioneer DJM600, Traktor Kontrol x1, NI Audio 6, NI Maschine Mikro MK2, MacBook 2009, iPad 2 with Traktor DJ, Pioneer HDJ-500, Shure M447's

Tech Guru

So is maschine going through traktor and then outputting through the audio 10?

Tech Mentor

Not exactly,

Maschine is Midi Synced to Traktors Midi Clock and going through a separte channel on the A10,

Tech Mentor

i made a maschine project wich contains different sounds in different groups.
    group A has claps and snares, B has hihats and shakers, C has open hihats and crashes, D has cowbells, congas, claves and other more funky stuff, E has kickdrums and F has some sound effects like white noise buildups and stuff.
    i put some work into every sample to make them sound how i want them, compressed them, applied some reverb, eqed and everything. took quite some time but it's worth it.
    when i dj i just got my maschine connected to the 5th channel of my xone 92 and i control it's volume over the gain knob and the fader.
    the way i use it is i just add some small drum patterns over songs that seem to be a bit dull. for example if a song plays after the "drop" for 32 bars, i add in a clap on every second bar via maschine with the step sequencer.
    or if a song has a very long breakdown which i want to play but is taking away too much energy of the set i add in a kickdrum on every second bar or two different kicks, one layered with a snare.
    or when i want to apply tension before a "drop" i put in a hihat on every bar 32 bars before the drop and then start addig more hihats until i got 4 hihats per bar just before the drop. you can also do that with the note repeat button.
    it's also nice to keep a simple hihat pattern running during your transition and then keeping it running longer than the song you mixed out of, it makes the transition more natural in my opinion.
    thats how i work with it, but i surley try not to overuse it because it can easily become too much.
    Macbook Pro, TP 2.6, 2* Kontrol X1, A&H xone:92, NI Maschine, 2* KRK Rokit 5s, Sennheiser HD 25-II
    http://www.mixcloud.com/_volpe/

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Volpe View Post
    i made a maschine project wich contains different sounds in different groups.
    group A has claps and snares, B has hihats and shakers, C has open hihats and crashes, D has cowbells, congas, claves and other more funky stuff, E has kickdrums and F has some sound effects like white noise buildups and stuff.
    i put some work into every sample to make them sound how i want them, compressed them, applied some reverb, eqed and everything. took quite some time but it's worth it.
    when i dj i just got my maschine connected to the 5th channel of my xone 92 and i control it's volume over the gain knob and the fader.
    the way i use it is i just add some small drum patterns over songs that seem to be a bit dull. for example if a song plays after the "drop" for 32 bars, i add in a clap on every second bar via maschine with the step sequencer.
    or if a song has a very long breakdown which i want to play but is taking away too much energy of the set i add in a kickdrum on every second bar or two different kicks, one layered with a snare.
    or when i want to apply tension before a "drop" i put in a hihat on every bar 32 bars before the drop and then start addig more hihats until i got 4 hihats per bar just before the drop. you can also do that with the note repeat button.
    it's also nice to keep a simple hihat pattern running during your transition and then keeping it running longer than the song you mixed out of, it makes the transition more natural in my opinion.
    thats how i work with it, but i surley try not to overuse it because it can easily become too much.
    That is pretty much what i was thinking of doing, so im quite glad you have said that... yeh i can imagine too much would instantly just spoil the whole set.

When you say you EQ and compress each sound, do you do that within maschine, or export the sound from midi and then compress/eq in a DAW then re import to the maschine?

I never thought of listing my sounds in that way, i.e groups of each sound, which i think is a absolute amazing idea!! Do you not use any Bass Synths with it, or is there a timing issue with useing them (i experienced some yesterday)

Would it be possible to get a few screen shots of some of your groups so i can see how you have organised and structured them? it would be a great help?

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by city_boy07 View Post
    That is pretty much what i was thinking of doing, so im quite glad you have said that... yeh i can imagine too much would instantly just spoil the whole set.

When you say you EQ and compress each sound, do you do that within maschine, or export the sound from midi and then compress/eq in a DAW then re import to the maschine?

I never thought of listing my sounds in that way, i.e groups of each sound, which i think is a absolute amazing idea!! Do you not use any Bass Synths with it, or is there a timing issue with useing them (i experienced some yesterday)

Would it be possible to get a few screen shots of some of your groups so i can see how you have organised and structured them? it would be a great help?
    i edit all my sounds inside maschine with just its basic effects and stuff. most of them are classic maschine samples (909, 808 etc.), some of them are from beatport sound packs and i've got like 3 sampled claps from older tracks.

i always sync my maschine to my traktor decks first, to the first song i play. just a basic hihat pattern on cue and then match it with timestretch of your traktor master channel.

i am not on my own laptop right now and will not be for the next 3 days (out of town) but i will post some screens as soon as i can.
    Macbook Pro, TP 2.6, 2* Kontrol X1, A&H xone:92, NI Maschine, 2* KRK Rokit 5s, Sennheiser HD 25-II
    http://www.mixcloud.com/_volpe/

i edit all my sounds inside maschine with just its basic effects and stuff. most of them are classic maschine samples (909, 808 etc.), some of them are from beatport sound packs and i've got like 3 sampled claps from older tracks.

i always sync my maschine to my traktor decks first, to the first song i play. just a basic hihat pattern on cue and then match it with timestretch of your traktor master channel.

i am not on my own laptop right now and will not be for the next 3 days (out of town) but i will post some screens as soon as i can.
    You should upload the maschine project.
    Techno Producer and Dj//Upcoming releases on Discovery Records and other labels//Australia//https://soundcloud.com/mrmye

Tech Mentor

Cheers mate!

Sorry to sound dumb, but what's the timestretch on the master channel?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast