$25 8 Knob USB class-compliant MIDI controller - would you buy one?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default $25 8 Knob USB class-compliant MIDI controller - would you buy one?

Hello all!

I have been following the midi fighter project for a while, and know there are a lot of DIYers active here. I'm thinking about starting up a kit but I'm trying to judge interest before I do so; please don't take this as spam, I intend on releasing everything as open source hardware and software, and encourage people to mod it. It can very very easily be adapted to use up to 24 buttons, or any combination of buttons and knobs, with three buttons replacing each of the 8 knobs.

Anyways I've always been frustrated with the lack of dedicated knobs when using virtual synths, and recently put together a clever (IMHO) little circuit that is USB compatible, MIDI class compliant, and works with any modern OS (including iOS (iphone/ipad)) without any drivers.

It's 2"x4", USB powered; it has 8 knobs, a power led, and a microusb jack. It's great for ableton live, as most of their built in plugins have a simplistic 8 knob control scheme. Somewhat similar to a doepfor pcoket dial (http://www.doepfer.de/pd.htm), but thinner, USB only, and with 8 knobs instead of 16. Debating adding multiple banks, but haven't as of yet (seems silly to me when they are pots not encoders)

I've been running the numbers and thinking about creating a kickstarter for it. I think if I sell at least 100 units, I can break even at the $20 price point for kits, and $25 for pre-assembled. This is, however, without a case I've been trying to figure out the best option for a case - for me, I would want folded sheet metal, but even plastic seems cost-prohibitive at such small quantity unfortunately.

I intend on offering a kit with all DIP parts except for the microusb connector, which will be soldered on by me, but I would also like to sell a pre-assembled version which may or may not be DIP.

Would anyone on here be interested? Is there a demand for something like this or am I a niche user? If you would be interested, would you but a kit or preassembled? Would you still buy it without a case (I'm guessing kits would, but non-kits wouldn't)? Or would you buy just a PCB? Or just etch it at home and DIY?

Thanks for your time! Hopefully I'm not alone in finding this useful, and I'll be posting a link to the kickstarter soon

Last edited by padi_04; 04-23-2013 at 09:56 PM.

Tech Wizard

Sounds like an awesome idea!! I like both the kit and pre-assembles but I think I would buy a pre-assembled one just because I'm not the best at DIYing. So heck yeah man I would take the risk and start it up. I'm sure once it came out people would love the idea.

if the pots are endless you would be my hero. If everything works well, a 30-40 dollar price tag is what i would pay for pre-assembled and 25 for the kit. I look forward to purchasing one, hell maybe two.
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

I support this kind of thing. The main competition would be things like the nanokontrol, maybe the novation nocturn. I personally would pay for assembly though.

Tech Convert

Well, it seems like there's some interest, and selling them assembled is definitely worthwhile. As someone mentioned, there's not much like this on the market, every other product boasts more features but a higher price tag. The nanokontrol2 is the closest "competitor" (I say that in quotes because I'm not trying to compete with korg hah), with 8 knobs, 8 sliders, and ~35 buttons. However, if you just want knobs, and lots of them, densely packed, the sliders, buttons, and empty space will annoy you. I like to put 2 or 4 of these next to each other, giving me 16/32 dedicated knobs, typically just for one soft synth. Probably not particularly relevant for DJing/playing live, but lots of fun when you miss analog synths.

Quote Originally Posted by hellnegative View Post
    if the pots are endless you would be my hero. If everything works well, a 30-40 dollar price tag is what i would pay for pre-assembled and 25 for the kit. I look forward to purchasing one, hell maybe two.
    By endless do you mean like a rotary encoder? Or like a potentiometer you can rotate 360 degrees, where it will jump from the highest value to the lowest value upon full rotation?

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Tech Convert

oh, and I've been looking at cases, thinking about perhaps going with one like this:

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11735

It's not quite what I want, but for a small run, it may be the only economically viable option. That said, I'd also have to time myself drilling out 8 potentiometer holes and a small hole for the microusb jack, which could take quite a while with 100 units.

Also, important question:

microUSB or USB B (printer style)? Most nice equipment uses USB B, and microusb seems like it may be too flimsy given how solid this case is. Would hate to have that silly little $0.50 jack routinely rip off and ruin the knob box.

Tech Wizard

I would definitely buy one of these. Would be fantastic to have mapped to the main knobs in Massive, or the simpler in Ableton. I too would prefer and pay for pre-assembled. In terms of case I would definitely want at least a faceplate and something holding it together? Something like this would be great for producers to just mount flush in their workspace.

Would totally buy a pre assembled one, where's that kick starter? Do u live in LA? Lets make a video!

Tech Guru

please make the knobs taller, and well spaced for cranking. even if this means a bigger controller.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by AldenM View Post
    Well, it seems like there's some interest, and selling them assembled is definitely worthwhile. As someone mentioned, there's not much like this on the market, every other product boasts more features but a higher price tag. The nanokontrol2 is the closest "competitor" (I say that in quotes because I'm not trying to compete with korg hah), with 8 knobs, 8 sliders, and ~35 buttons. However, if you just want knobs, and lots of them, densely packed, the sliders, buttons, and empty space will annoy you. I like to put 2 or 4 of these next to each other, giving me 16/32 dedicated knobs, typically just for one soft synth. Probably not particularly relevant for DJing/playing live, but lots of fun when you miss analog synths.

By endless do you mean like a rotary encoder? Or like a potentiometer you can rotate 360 degrees, where it will jump from the highest value to the lowest value upon full rotation?

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

This better happen!! Because I want one!!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast