DJM vs DB help please - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

haha so much hate ^

i'd also say it boils down to what you will mix, or least mainly mix. tech house and around that range i find xone mixers to be very useful.
    Very good point made about that you already have learned the pio mixers and that is probably enough to have a good enough workflow on them, ofcourse it can be better but im gonna tell you little about my situation.

I have a 900+2000 setup and sure its sweet and fun to mix on, but im also a audiophile kindofguy and the sound of xone analogue mixers is what draws me towards them. Thats why the DB (digital range) has no appeal to me, only the xone 92 and 4D is what i would like to use.
    I played with the idea of having a DB4 because of all the cool effects and stuff but then i realized only 1 club has it in the city i live in and the 100 other clubs have pioneer mixers, so I would just be sad to come to use pioneer mixers when i learnt tricks on the db4 and could not justify the load of cash it costs for the occassional gig which i need to bring my own gear to.
    My solution was getting a 4D which doesnt cost so much but is a real beast. So when i know a club has a decent pio mixer and cdjs i just use theirs, if i know they have some shit/nothing/bashed gear i just bring the 4D.

Quote Originally Posted by OmniRoss View Post
    If you hate stubby little bastard EQ knobs, don't get the Xone.

It'd help to know what genre of music you mix. I'd say for house and techno, go for the Xone as the effects work with that genre/bpm range.

I wouldn't recommend it for say drum & bass as the only think you're likely to use on the Xone are the filters.

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of Xone mixers. Mainly because of the stupid fucking knobs.
    Allen and Heath seem really committed to building amazing quality mixers, with a "death by papercuts" approach to virtually every single aspect of usability on the gdmf things.

"Im just saying, I know a few engineers, and this.... this feels like it was built by just engineers."

Tech Convert

Default Thank you all

Thanks for all the feedback. Greatly appreciated. A lot to consider.

Appears the mixer war boils down to personal preference. I grew up on a djm 400 (old i know) so that's why im more inclined to go for the 900. Familiar w the layout, built in sound card, and yes, the universal punch amongst the club scene. However, i don't want to ignore a&h because its the odd man out. As much as id love the familiarity of the pio mixer i dont want to shy away from something brand new, foreign
    really. But damn that db4 is expensive!! well, they both are a pretty penny.

im not so concerned w the effects, i use traktors. im not a huge fan of pios, (no hate). but new effects would be a plus.

I mainly mix house 128-132 and am lately getting sucked into this trap scene.

just looking to invest in a minimal, durable, quality mobile setup. that's why i love that both mixers eliminate the need for an external soundcard. wanna plug and play.

just looking for that perfect workhorse.

and nothing against pio, but why is the club scene so saturated with pio gear when a&h prove to provide such quality instruments?

Quote Originally Posted by nerdbias View Post
    and nothing against pio, but why is the club scene so saturated with pio gear when a&h prove to provide such quality instruments?
    Quote Originally Posted by OmniRoss View Post
    Mainly because of the stupid fucking knobs.
    Fin.
    Pioneer DJM 700 / Traktor Kontrol X1 / 2 x Technics SL1200MK5 / Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6.7 / Ortofon Concorde Nightclub MK1
    Audio 8 DJ / Sennheiser HD 25-1 II / Magma Traveler / IsoAcoustics ISO-L8R155 / KRK RP6 G2 / Vinyl

Just my .02

I've never gigged out and have no real desire to (as I have a great full-time job). If I gig out once, on my equipment, it will be all to surreal. I am nut for technology and have a passion (more like addiction) for good music - especially bass (infra-bass )! I am lucky enough to have a budget that allows me to have had a good amount of equipment such as an S4, X1600, and a DB4.

I say this because.....

Even though I do not have real industry experience, I have personal experience. While the DB4 is not perfect, its 90% of everything I want in a mixer. It's got tons of features - features that I am still learning to use, effectively. When I get the chance to mix, I am always greeted with something new to try, or enhance what I am already working on. For me, this has already made my purchase more then worth it. On top of that, A&H have been pretty open to user input on adding features and product development. The DB series mixers were made with the future in mind, I think it has that spot. With the possibility of a end user firmware utility (for setting user preferences) this mixer would be future proof... but that may just be my wishful thinking.

I am not saying you wont find these intricacies in Pio gear (as they have their own), but that's just my insight. You can have Pio gear that you can feel comfortable and build upon mastering it.... or you could grab a DB series mixer, think a little outside the box, and start from scratch.

Profit( what you get out of it, tangible or not) should be equal or greater then, the Sacrifice (time, effort) + Value ($$$)

Good luck on your decision.

Sincerly,
    A&H fan (w/ less money in his account)
    The MUSIC is what matters!
    Everything else is _________

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by DarioJ View Post
    Just my .02

I've never gigged out and have no real desire to (as I have a great full-time job). If I gig out once, on my equipment, it will be all to surreal. I am nut for technology and have a passion (more like addiction) for good music - especially bass (infra-bass )! I am lucky enough to have a budget that allows me to have had a good amount of equipment such as an S4, X1600, and a DB4.

I say this because.....

Even though I do not have real industry experience, I have personal experience. While the DB4 is not perfect, its 90% of everything I want in a mixer. It's got tons of features - features that I am still learning to use, effectively. When I get the chance to mix, I am always greeted with something new to try, or enhance what I am already working on. For me, this has already made my purchase more then worth it. On top of that, A&H have been pretty open to user input on adding features and product development. The DB series mixers were made with the future in mind, I think it has that spot. With the possibility of a end user firmware utility (for setting user preferences) this mixer would be future proof... but that may just be my wishful thinking.

I am not saying you wont find these intricacies in Pio gear (as they have their own), but that's just my insight. You can have Pio gear that you can feel comfortable and build upon mastering it.... or you could grab a DB series mixer, think a little outside the box, and start from scratch.

Profit( what you get out of it, tangible or not) should be equal or greater then, the Sacrifice (time, effort) + Value ($$$)

Good luck on your decision.

Sincerly,
    A&H fan (w/ less money in his account)
    considering i hate the xone series, for numeurus reasons...

i have been slightly inclined witht the DB...

you post might just have sealed it for me dario
    Technics 1210 mk2 Pair, Pioneer DJM600, Traktor Kontrol x1, NI Audio 6, NI Maschine Mikro MK2, MacBook 2009, iPad 2 with Traktor DJ, Pioneer HDJ-500, Shure M447's

Quote Originally Posted by city_boy07 View Post
    considering i hate the xone series, for numeurus reasons...

i have been slightly inclined witht the DB...

you post might just have sealed it for me dario
    LOL, no worries. That's what I am here for

Tech Guru

DarioJ brings up a great point - how many times has PIO released a firmware upgrade that added new features?

Tech Guru

Pioneer generally try to avoid fragmentation (to provide more of a consistent standard), which is why you don't see much customisation in the options.

They do tweak existing features depending on feedback though. Here's the update history for the DJM900:
    http://forums.pioneerdj.com/entries/...ivers-firmware
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Quote Originally Posted by makar1 View Post
    Pioneer generally try to avoid fragmentation (to provide more of a consistent standard), which is why you don't see much customisation in the options.
    As a avid android user and a MBP owner - I agree with you that controlling fragmentation (to keep a consistent standard) is key for user end experience. But on either end the firmware updates are developed and released for a specific product (in this case a mixer), so the responsibility falls on the end user, and not the manufacturer. IMO, Options in this case would be considered preferences, not features.

There is more fragmentation in the product line (DJM vs DB), then there is in an update feature list (from release to release), on any mixer. Granted that the DB series has only had 1 major update
    Last edited by DarioJ; 04-25-2013 at 12:32 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast