320 kbs song
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 320 kbs song

Tech Wizard

Default 320 kbs song

hi i was just listening couple of songs, and some of them sounds like they r not really 320 kbs just wondering if there is any way to really find out the original bitrate of the song before encoding.

thx for the help

The "original" track was probably an uncompressed wav file, but what might have happened is that the track was compressed down to say, 192kbps or similar, and then someone re-encoded it to 320kbps. Once you encode down to a level, you can never go back up as data in the file is lost when it's compressed.

All I can tell you is to buy all your music from a reputable online music store. This situation is another reason why it's worth the money to buy your music legally.

Compare the crappy track in a frequency spectrum analyzer with a decently encoded mp3

Im not sure if your going to be able to tell the exact rate it was encoded at but you will be able to visually see if there is a difference

Tech Wizard

thx a lot bento and summervest. just got only this track that i feel is dodgy doesnt sound right to me compare to my other beatport tracks which are 320.

as always great insight on this website.

and bento man you are always there do you ever sleep ;-)
    Last edited by jd62; 09-03-2009 at 01:14 PM. Reason: just used a spectrogram and could see it visually it was not right thx bento

Quote Originally Posted by jd62 View Post
    just got only this track that i feel is dodgy doesnt sound right to me compare to my other beatport tracks which are 320.
    I had got a track from beatport about 3 weeks ago and had the same problem. It sounds like it was horribly compressed then brought back to 320. I think it was Moomba (Afrojack Remix)
    SyblingQ - Electro House for dark alleys.

Tech Wizard

yeah that s exactly what i am experincing, i guess iam gonna use more wav files and encode them myself at least i ll be sure of the compression.

mabye it's just bad mixdown or mastering on the producer's side? or do they actually clip?

some time i see songs that are 9 minutes long that claim to be 320kbps but only has a file size of 10 or so mb...Now you know thats just bullshit...but then again I'm getting alot of stuff for free soooooo Im not one to complain =P

Quote Originally Posted by Duttylectric View Post
    mabye it's just bad mixdown or mastering on the producer's side? or do they actually clip?
    Thats possible too, id find the original wav file and compare it with the 320kbps file

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Duttylectric View Post
    i dont know i followed bento advice and i can see on the graph compare to other 320kb that there is something wrong with that file.

i think from now on i am gonna concentrate on getting wav files at least i can do the proper conversion myself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast