Should I go Xone:42 to DJM 800?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Should I go Xone:42 to DJM 800?

Hey y'all,

The recent upswing in interest on topics about Allen & Heath vs. Pioneer products made me reconsider an "upgrade" I have been considering for a while. I currently use a Xone:42 (this is the first actual mixer I have owned), but have been contemplating selling it and moving to a DJM 800. This is for a few reasons.

Firstly, I am an open-format dj that plays primarily House (actual house), Electro (the "EDM-y" stuff), and Hip Hop, however I also play some Latin and other types of music. Often times I'll start a set with vinyl, playing older music (Stevie Wonder, Frank Sinatra, Galaxy, Ray Charles, Michael Jackson) off of records, then transition to playing MP3's off of Serato. I scratch fairly frequently while mixing, and normally use three decks (with the fourth deck as my SP6 output).

While I love the sound of the filters on the Xone, the fact the one has to turn off the channel filter button and then manually switch between high-pass and low-pass while rotating the frequency knob to the other end greatly annoys me, as the "superfilter" effect on the DJM800 is much more efficient for my workflow. Also, the DJM800 features MIDI, however I am unsure as to how I could implement this with SSL.

To summarize, reasons to move to a DJM800:
    -post-fader effects built in (I currently don't have any post-fader effects with the Xone:42)
    -more efficient filter for my style (superfilter-style knob under the eq pots)
    -MIDI (but again, I am not sure how to implement this with SSL. If anyone has ideas, please respond below).
    -"Industry standard" style mixer
    -I've never actually performed with a DJM series mixer, so it would be good to have one to become familiar
    -Mine only cost $500 (used), so I could probably recoup most of the investment, and I can likely snag a DJM800 (used) for around $650 off of ebay.

Reasons to stay with the Xone:42
    -"warmer" sound
    -Excellent-sounding filters
    -EQ's are great (as per this threadhttp://forum.djtechtools.com/showthread.php?t=24558).
    -It has done the job for what I need

What observations, opinions, and questions do you guys have? Do you have anything to add to the pro's for either side?

Tech Mentor

get a djm 850 and start using traktor with the inbuilt soundcard. I got myself an 850 a few days ago and jesus christ, it saves me the hassle of bringing along my interface and shitloads of cables, setup is insanely quick (I have a residency, so I can simply leave the mixer there because I play 4 times a week anyway)

well anyway, no matter what software you use, get an 850, great mixer. If you have the budget that is

Tech Guru

Dayvue....I had a 42 and now have an 800 and as an open format DJ I MUCH prefer a DJM 800/850/900 mixer over a xone. Everything you described above is pretty accurate. For scratching especially the DJM crossfader is much better and you can slap an innofader in there. The Xone's cool if you're that type of DJ, but I think you'll get more use and enjoyment from the 800.
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

Tech Mentor

oh yeah actually, get a 900 if you can afford it. I'm planning to get one, totally forgot about that.
    But yeah, even more expensive lmfao

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by despo View Post
    get a djm 850 and start using traktor with the inbuilt soundcard.
    well lmk if you want to sell your 850, I might take you up on it!

I don't have any copies of Traktor right now, and I've been djing with serato for three years. What would I need to get software-wise to run traktor if I got a 850? I don't plan on switching to Traktor anytime soon, but it would be good to at least get familiar with it.

Also, what are the updates that were made from the 800 to the 850?

And haze, your setup is eerily similar to mine (SL4, Xone:42, Technics x2, X1, CDJ-1000, and a VCI-300 for portable things)

Tech Guru

If you want to use your CDJ 1000s and Technics with Traktor on the DJM850, all you need to buy is the Software and Timecode Kit (US$119)
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by dayvue View Post
    well lmk if you want to sell your 850, I might take you up on it!

I don't have any copies of Traktor right now, and I've been djing with serato for three years. What would I need to get software-wise to run traktor if I got a 850? I don't plan on switching to Traktor anytime soon, but it would be good to at least get familiar with it.

Also, what are the updates that were made from the 800 to the 850?

And haze, your setup is eerily similar to mine (SL4, Xone:42, Technics x2, X1, CDJ-1000, and a VCI-300 for portable things)
    Just traktor pro 2+ needed to get familiar with it. You can get a trial thing that shuts down after XX minutes but if you dont want to do that, a full copy can be had for $100 if not cheaper. Not to mention you could probably get one used or something.

I think the biggest update from 800 to 850 is the usb sound card. Other than that, i believe the 850 has isolator for effects.

But really the 850 is just an 800 with a usb sound card certified for traktor.

Tech Mentor

Even if I wanted to sell it, shipping from germany to USA? Ain't that expensive as hell? :/

Quote Originally Posted by dfinch805 View Post
    But really the 850 is just an 800 with a usb sound card certified for traktor.
    Which is the fucking shit if you're supposed to work in a small-as-fuck booth where you struggle to fit your interface and cables, which is the case for me

Get a Xone DB2 it's better than all the pioneer mixers and it's not even allen and heaths #1 mixer. The effects are amazing it's got the warm sound of the 42 and it has amazing filters.
    Techno Producer and Dj//Upcoming releases on Discovery Records and other labels//Australia//https://soundcloud.com/mrmye

Tech Guru

How do you assign DB2 FX to a specific channel?
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast