Broken Studio Monitor. Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Tech Convert

Default Broken Studio Monitor. Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Right, so I was having a mix earlier,at low volume when all of a sudden the bass from one of my monitors started distorting. I turned it off straight away but now there's no low end whatsoever coming from it and the volume is very quiet. Any idea what could be wrong? They're Mackie MR8 active monitors. Does it sound like a broken driver or amp? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Cheers

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

I would disconnect the low speaker and try it on second amp just to make sure where is the issue coming from.

Tech Wizard

This probably will not fix the problem, but it's a very simple stupid thing that happened to me once.

Check to make sure no small pieces of paper or plastic somehow got sucked up into the low end ports. I almost had an aneurysm thinking my RP8 had blown out once, but as I was unplugging it, a little piece of saran wrap my girlfriend left on my desk fell out.

Quote Originally Posted by Emz View Post
    Right, so I was having a mix earlier,at low volume when all of a sudden the bass from one of my monitors started distorting. I turned it off straight away but now there's no low end whatsoever coming from it and the volume is very quiet. Any idea what could be wrong? They're Mackie MR8 active monitors. Does it sound like a broken driver or amp? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Seven Deep View Post
    This probably will not fix the problem, but it's a very simple stupid thing that happened to me once.

Check to make sure no small pieces of paper or plastic somehow got sucked up into the low end ports. I almost had an aneurysm thinking my RP8 had blown out once, but as I was unplugging it, a little piece of saran wrap my girlfriend left on my desk fell out.
    Hah!

I have a similar story with my RP8s. I had just bought them (used) and was testing them out. One of them in particular was producing this buzzing sound. I started to freak out thinking that the speaker was blown.

About a minute or so in a styrofoam peanut shoots out of the port. I turn off the speakers and turn them both upside down and I shit you not, enough peanuts to fill a small box came out of both speakers. I guess they were still in there from when they were shipped?

Cleaned them both out and haven't had any probs with them since.

Tech Convert

Took the driver out and the wire that connects to the cone has broken off? What wouldve cause this? If I fit a new driver should it be ok or is there something wrong that actually caused this damage?