What Speakers??

Thread: What Speakers??

Tech Convert

Default What Speakers??

so i couldn't find any threads on this, im sure there is somewhere on here, but was wondering what are the best speakers to use for just personal/small gatherings. best all round speakers. i am using a vci-100 with an audio 4 dj.

thanking you all.

p.s
    what an awesome find this website was for a beginner.

find some used PA cabinets and a power amp/head. 500$ will get you alot of power. stay away from cheap little powered speakers. Get something with 12's or 15's. IMO

GC had some JBL Eon G2s go for clearance and really cheap a short time back since they were replaced with a newer version. Also the older Mackie srm-450s (non chinese made) were decent and probably can be found fairly cheaply on craigslist. Just keep your eyes open and the first place i would check is gc and musicansfriend for overstock of Eon G2s. as for the tapcos, I personally haven't tried them, but like many things If it sounds too good to be true; it probably is. I just don't know how reliable they would be in the long run; especially considering they "are designed by the mackie team" and newer mackie actives I saw while working at GC would have many different failures. It just doesn't give me the confidence i would like. (btw, i like mackie, and have used srm-450s and 32x4 mixer, weekly for quite a few years dragging it from one place to another) and have no complaints, but some newer products from em suck.

Sorry, went off topic. Military loves making us wake up early and go to school really late. Just a little tired if i sound crazy and hard to understand
    3x sl-1200s, Rane Empath, KP3, Ineko, Serato SL1, TS-Pro, RP10s sub, Event TR8 monitors, Xiosynth, Nano Pad & Kontrol, VCI-100 1.3 djtt, 3x M44g, DT-770, Rp-DJ1200, 13" MBP 4GB 2.26 128GB Corsair P128 Solid State Drive.

I have 2 JBL EON G2's and I love em. Ive rocked many partys with just 1 speaker.
    1st Setup (Main rig)Dell Studio XPS 1640 2nd Setup (Hotel & Living Room Parties, Kick backs etc.)MSI Wind U110 Intel Atom 1.6ghz Dual Boot Mac OSX 10.6 and Widows XP SP3 Accessories Native Instruments NI Audio 8 Traktor 3.2.2 Vestax VCI-100 v1.3http://www.myspace.com/syphic

What's your budget? If you have the money to spend, Mackies are great! One 12" active speaker would do the trick.

Then you'll also need a mixer. You won't need anything fancy since you're mixing digitally, just something to go between your sound card and speakers.
    Balls of Steel
    DJ/Producer
    SoundCloud | Twitter | Website

Tech Wizard

Default what speakers?

i've had awesome sound from 2 electro voice force i-e15's and a yamaha
    sw218 dual18 subwoofer powered by a qsc rmx 2450 for the sub and a cerwin
    vega cv-1800 for the 2ways and bbe x3 crossover all found on craigslist----
    (my bestest friend) you may have to look in a major metro area for some of
    this stuff but it is well worth it. just be ready to act because good dj equipment fly's fast on craigslist! Good Luck........have fun...peace......

Tech Convert

hey thanks guys, thats why this site is kickass, get awesome feedback so quickly. anyway im in australia so things are limited compared to america, hahah, and expensive, however money isnt a huge factor for me, im thinking of the eons cause i know where i can get some in aus. hmmm, keep on with the feedback the more i know the better.

p.s i love huge bass that shakes your core

Tech Convert

hey thanks guys, thats why this site is kickass, get awesome feedback so quickly. anyway im in australia so things are limited compared to america, hahah, and expensive, however money isnt a huge factor for me, im thinking of the eons cause i know where i can get some in aus. hmmm, keep on with the feedback the more i know the better.

Quote Originally Posted by LeMercy View Post

then get a pair of electrovoice ZXA5s, sxa360s, or some dynacord powered components.. jbl eons are chincey toys compared. Just so you know .. All the dynacord and EV stuff is available at killer prices right now cause of the economey. Im into it cause Im a "DEaler" .. whatever. that stuff rules.

sorry .. I don't mean to product bash...or put down other's equipment... I just don't like Eons, I think their sound is terrible. IMO

also you shouldn't need another mixer inbetween the VCI and the powered speakers. Some powered units have RCA and most have unbalanced 1/4" and balanced xlr inputs. The electrovoice units even have a mic input and mixer so you can add a mic signal to the chain. Just get single twelve foot long RCA to 1/4 inch mono cables. Or adapters for eighteen foot guitar cables. Etc.

Adding another mixer just adds more color and distortion.

If you need to go a long distance to the powered speakers you'll need a Direct box and some long XLR cables. Whirlwind makes the PC DI its a stereo Direct box with high quality electronics and RCA inputs. Rolls audio also makes quality widgets that do this type of stuff.

And.....
    Last edited by audiomontana; 09-04-2009 at 09:44 AM. Reason: more stuff
    all these colors all this metal all this colored mental .. is just sun.