Need some advice on buying turntables not called Technics.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Need some advice on buying turntables not called Technics.

I've been messing around with Traktor and VDJ(a bit of Serato too) for at least the past 1.5 years. I mainly use a controller, as I'm currently using the S2.

I've always wanted to move onto turntables and learn to scratch and this is where I need help.

My budget is about $500-$600

I'm looking into getting a pair of Stanton T.62, mainly because a pair would cost me about $200 and I want to get a feel for turntables first before moving on to learning how to scratch.

I heard I should look into Super OEM turntables and was told I should look for Stanton T.120(though I haven't been able to find some online).

I'm not looking to buy Numark products because they have caused me trouble and it's not worth dealing with anymore.

Later down the road I would look into getting some 1200s, but that's not an option for me right now.

Also I've never seen a turntable in person, just pictures so I'm not sure how it would be set-up, but I figure it would be similar to setting up the S2 to a sound system.

Any and all suggestions are appreciated

*Note: Turntables are mainly going to be used at-home.

Thanks

-N

Tech Mentor

Not sure bout how much this costs at your area.

Super OEMs: Stanton ST150s/ Stanton Str8 150s/ Reloop 6000s?

Might be a lil out of your budget though. But i'll say go all the way up. Saves money from upgrading next time.

I dont think the S2 allows external input though. You would need a new mixer and A6/A10 unless its a scratch certified mixer. (buy scratch upgrade kit from NI)

Bear in mind the cost of carts/needles/slipmats too!

Set up wise you just connect RCAs into ur mixers input and ground wire if needed to the ground post.
    Cheers!
    2 x Technics 1210 / 2 x Stanton ST150 / Shure M44-7 / Kontrol S4 / KRK Rokit 5 / AIAIAI TM-1 / Westone 1 / HP dv6-6105TX

Tech Convert

How about the Audio Technica LP1240s? Im looking into them myself, They're OEMS and ive heard good things about them.

Tech Wizard

The cheapest str8-150s I've found is roughly about $550 per tt. Haven't looked much into reloop TT, always thought they only sold in europe.

Also S2 isn't considered an external mixer so I know I have to look into the scratch upgrade option from NI.

Slipmats are something I'm not sure of, but I know are needed. For cartridges I was told Shure M-44(correct me if I spelled it wrong), or Ortofon.

Set-up is much simpler than I expected.

Would it be more beneficial to buy the T.62s to learn how to use TT with a good mixer then upgrade my TTs later down the line? It would only cost me $200ish and I can use the rest to get carts, needles, slipmats, trakor scratch and a mixer.

Thanks for your reply

Tech Mentor

If that's all you can afford, then go for it. If you get a good enough deal on a second hand set, then you shouldn't loose too much money upgrading later on.

Mixer wise you could go for a DJ-Tech DIF-1S Mixer. Nice, cheap 2 channel mixer, with innofader already installed. Will be more than good enough to learn on, and cheap enough that you couldn't possibly loose too much money on it.

Of course, you would need a decent sound card too, so A6 or A10 or similar. But a Audio 8 could be picked up at a reasonable enough price.

Either that or your looking for a Traktor certified mixer, $$$
    Technics 1210 mk2's, Pioneer CDJ 500, Allen & Heath DB4, NI F1's (x2), Reloop Contour Controller Edition, Sennheiser HD25 1-II or Allen & Heath XD2-53's depending on my mood...

Mixcloud : xs2man - Latest Mix: Latest Mix 13-10-2016

Quote Originally Posted by noa132 View Post
    Would it be more beneficial to buy the T.62s to learn how to use TT with a good mixer then upgrade my TTs later down the line? It would only cost me $200ish and I can use the rest to get carts, needles, slipmats, trakor scratch and a mixer.
    I would say probably not - by once, cry once.

Slipmats are something I'm not sure of, but I know are needed.
    Butter Rugs are a very safe bet if you're interested in scratching. I use them with two Flying Carpets each - I usually go for the Frosted Plates package (a pair of white Butter Rugs, two pairs of flying carpets.

For cartridges I was told Shure M-44(correct me if I spelled it wrong), or Ortofon.
    Either the Shure or any Ortofon cartridge will do. I use the Elektro.

Any of the Super OEM platform stuff is basically the pinnacle of DJ turntables these days. Built like tanks, more torque than 1200s, yada yada.

Personally, I wouldn't spend more than £100 on turntables when you're a beginner, considering how many cheap second hand sets there are on the market. The Gemini XL series is great; I started on a pair of XL-500IIs which did the job perfectly well. Now got myself a pair of Soundlab DLP-32s which are fantastic. KAM's direct drive range is pretty good as well, the DDX750 especially.

All of the above are typically available for like £50 a pair if you buy them locally and second hand, which means you can spend your money on some nice cartridges once you know what you're doing.

Tech Mentor

M44-7s for DVS. Though i feel they personally arent as skip proof as every1 is saying. but it does the job.

as botstein said. buy once, cry once.

you might have problems reselling ur 1st pair too.
    2 x Technics 1210 / 2 x Stanton ST150 / Shure M44-7 / Kontrol S4 / KRK Rokit 5 / AIAIAI TM-1 / Westone 1 / HP dv6-6105TX

Why are 1200s not an option? A pair of used Mark 2's is certainly well within your budget (I see them for $250-300 each routinely).
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

Tech Wizard

Thanks for all the replies guys, really appreciate it.

@DJProben: I've been looking for technics all over the place, craigslist, ebay, amazon, you name it. The cheapest I've seen for a pair is about $800 with no needles/carts. Separately is about 350-400 each and I've tried negotiating, but no one wants to lower their price so I'm not really sure if MII are an option right now. I'd like to get everything at once instead of piece by piece as well.

As of now I'm going to look at some local shops around here, the pimpmyturntables store is 5 minutes from my house and I've heard they sell technics there so I will check it out this week.

@Botstein, I will look into those slipmats, thanks!

@Xs2man I heard about that mixer, it just came out if I'm not mistaken. Will look into it, but I'm not sure if it's released yet. Thanks though, will def. look into it more.

I'll try to update this thread later this week with my final decision. All depends on what I can get within my budget at this pt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast