Bought a technic and.......
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Bought a technic and.......

So I've been a digital DJ for about a year now, and have always wanted vinyl. And last week when I found a post on craigslist for a technic 1200 MK2, m-44 needle, and case for $350 I couldn't stop myself from buying it.

The only problem is that the case has stickers covering it, lol. And the 1200 has some scratches near the needle and around a few edges. I'll attach some pictures for your viewing pleasure.

Is there anything I can do about either of these circumstances?? That looks professional and won't destroy anything.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    13" MBP 4GB RAM // Kontrol S4 // MF3D // V-Moda LP II's // Rokit 6's // Sony MDR-V700's

How is the pitch etc?

It's simple enough to just cover up the stickers.

Tech Wizard

Thats what I figured but didn't know if there was a specific product people use or stickers or whatever....the pitch works, a little bit of resistance when moving up but no to bad.
    13" MBP 4GB RAM // Kontrol S4 // MF3D // V-Moda LP II's // Rokit 6's // Sony MDR-V700's

That TT has been knocked about a bit! It would probably benefit from a full service.

The stickers shouldn't be a problem. Just take a hairdryer to the case, and SLOWLY peel each sticker back. You'll probably need to give it a good wash after. Use a scrubber that will take off any left over sticker, but NOT scratch the actual case.

Something like this:

lens17958818_1305653413squidoo_sponge3.jpg
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Tech Mentor

A bit of turpentine or white spirit will completely remove the stickers with no trace, just pour a bit on a cloth and rub them away, try and remove what you can of the top layer first to make it a bit easier possibly with a hairdryer as Patch has suggested.

You could strip it and repaint with your own color scheme if you're feeling daring. You can get some caig lube to loosen up the fader a bit too (only use a drop or two). You should take it to get serviced, looks like it has seen quite a bit of use (not necessarily a bad thing).
    2 x CDJ 850 | Kontrol S4 | A&H Xone XD-53's | A&H Xone K2 | Kontrol X1 | Kontrol F1 | DJM 900nxs

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Scott View Post
    A bit of turpentine or white spirit will completely remove the stickers with no trace, just pour a bit on a cloth and rub them away, try and remove what you can of the top layer first to make it a bit easier possibly with a hairdryer as Patch has suggested.
    I personally wouldn't use as strong a solvent as that, there's more chance of damaging the paint work. Lighter fluid works perfectly, just on a bit of toilet paper; I use it for cleaning pretty much every surface when I repair cameras as it basically dissolves grime and glue but leaves the material underneath untouched.

An alternative to repainting might be Plasti-Dip, which is basically spray-on vinyl; peels off easily if you want to revert to stock later on.

Speaking of lighter fluid - it is AWESOME for cleaning your records with...
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Speaking of lighter fluid - it is AWESOME for cleaning your records with...
    Haha - almost nothing better. My mom used to go crazy with me using it though, insisting the house would go up in flames at any minute.

And advise you to check this thread for awesome tips on restoring a technics ...

http://forum.djtechtools.com/showthread.php?t=56505

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast