are there more of us? or can you just see more of us?

Default are there more of us? or can you just see more of us?

So im having this discussion with a large group of djs on my radio station today, and im actually going to turn it into a huge LIVE call in discussion that we are going to broadcast shortly, with live callers and people answering questions in the chatroom. Now that aside, i wanted to post the base of the question here on DJTT and see that take you guys have on it.

A line in one of the comments from one from one of my djs was
    "...With rise in popularity of DJ's.... "
    but im not so sure this is an accurate statement.
    I tend to look at things in a slightly different angle most times so i have to ask here

Is there a rise in the number of djs?

Or is it that, Now, because
    finding information on someone
    having the ability to PLACE your information in front of a larger mass of people
    and the multitude of sites that djs join have grown
    is it that there are more djs now?

or is it just easier to find us?

Lets facing it. Djing is NOT a new thing. its been going on since hell, my father was a dj and im now 39!!!
    (Yea! I said im 39! what you gonna do about it sunny boy?!)

i found out when he was young, he too was trying to mix music
    Tape to tape
    and record to record
    there were even djs that would do it 8 trak to 8 track
    and 45 to 45
    Splicing speaker wires together to try and make a type of cross fader effect when they didnt even exist yet

so what do you think has happened here?

i think it is a combination of both.
    its easier and cheaper now, and also, you have the eye for it.

if i told you that in a regular conversation of people there is a silence every 7 minutes, your brain is now aware of that and when you experience it you will notice it.

same with dj's, being a dj, breathing the life of djing, you are most likely to respond to dj stimuli.

what a very accurate answer
    its like those days where you notice there are so many blonde women driving Volkswagon Jetta's and they all kinda look the same as eachother

the main reason for becoming a dj in america these days seems to be "there was a sale on at guitar centre". But it's kind of like the more expensive yo-yo of the twenty teens (2010-2020).

bring back higher prices of the past and you would see a sharp decline in the amount of new entrants to the dj world. that does mean the poor kid with real talent needs to save up, but it means the middle class no talent hack will keep playing "insert computer game here" instead.
    Why did the elephant get lost... Cause the Jungle is MASSIVE!

Tech Wizard

Dont forget the music software. Lots of kids have learned the way of the torrents. And they'll try out VDJ / Traktor / Serato / ... Once they find out how Sync works, they'll check their local music store for the cheapest DJ set. Said local store then sees another potential customer & sells them their flagship Mixtrack PRO (2). And then there was succes.

I'm pretty sure there has been an immense increase in DJ's, but most of them come & go. And don't forget, pretty much every producer is a 'DJ' now. And then there's the internet, and an increase of people in this world, yada yada.

So basically, yes, more DJ's.

Tech Mentor

Has NOTHING to do with Hardware etc.. as its still all very expensive to the average joe. Its called AMerica and a few other countries have made DJing into being a rock star.. for whatever ridiculous reason. People see fame fortune and hot chicks like its going to happen over night, because they buy a bunch of peoples other hard work, and then they go out and play it on a friggen turntable or laptop and seem like some kind of musical god.

Perception. Apparently DJs are now the real musicians. Those guys that train to play real instruments and such are all washed out.... At least thats how the younger generation is treating it.