Double dilemma: controller/interface + laptop stand
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Student

Default Double dilemma: controller/interface + laptop stand

Recently I was playing around with friend's turntables and I think I've been bitten by the vinyl bug. I've been trying to set up my three controllers with Traktor but there's something more organic about turntables that I really like. I want to have a setup that uses a controller but also allows me to use turntables (timecode AND good ol' vinyl).

I've seen a few setups (including my friend's) where the turntables and the mixer are pretty close together. If I were to slap an S4 on top of the mixer, it would probably get in the way of the turntables. His setup is very similar to this: djconsole1.jpg

My two-part question:
    1. Are there any controller/interface combos that support timecode input from 2 turntables and are not as wide as the S4?
    2. Most laptop/controller stands either fit under the mixer/turntables or they have clamps to secure them in place. If you look at the picture, there is no way to use clamps and there's not much room for a stand's legs to sit behind the mixer. Are there any other options out there, like a wide laptop stand whose legs would fit AROUND the mixer instead?

I'd be okay with setting either the laptop or the controller off to the side on a separate stand, but one of them would have to be in front of me (preferrably the controller, obviously).

Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by joemaffei View Post
    Recently I was playing around with friend's turntables and I think I've been bitten by the vinyl bug. I've been trying to set up my three controllers with Traktor but there's something more organic about turntables that I really like. I want to have a setup that uses a controller but also allows me to use turntables (timecode AND good ol' vinyl).
    You're looking for the Z2. The T1 is a good choice too.

I've seen a few setups (including my friend's) where the turntables and the mixer are pretty close together.
    Yeah, this is a good idea.

Are there any controller/interface combos that support timecode input from 2 turntables and are not as wide as the S4?
    The Z2 fits the bill.

As for the second part of your post, I dislike having a laptop in the middle, especially when playing out. You could build little stands like some do for CDJs, monitors, screens, etc. There are many examples to be found in the Show Your Setup forum.

Tech Student

Quote Originally Posted by botstein View Post
    You're looking for the Z2. The T1 is a good choice too.
    Thanks for the reply. The Z2 is okay, but not really what I'm going for. I guess I didn't make it clear in my post that I'm looking for the type of controller I can DJ with whether I have turntables/CDJs with me or not. I suppose you could remap the cue buttons to work as play, cue, etc.

I also didn't make it clear that this is not for a permanent setup or my home setup. I want to be able to put it in a backpack and take to house parties. I'm a musician and producer just dabbling in the DJ arts The Pioneer DDJ-T1 kinda fits the bill -- although I'm guessing you meant the DJM-T1 mixer which, again, is not an end-all solution.

So... to make it clear: I'm looking for a Traktor or Serato controller that I can DJ with on its own, but that can also receive timecode/audio from turntables. On top of that, I'm looking for a stand that would allow me to use this controller over the turntables, especially in a situation like the one in the picture. It looks like I may have to build a stand for those situations.

Tech Mentor

The DJM T1 has play, cue, sync, 2fx units, auto loop, and 4 hotcues / deck built into a 2 channel mixer with a sound card, and traktor DVS support. That's as much, if not more, than what I use in a typical set.

Basically you want a Z2 or an S4; if the lack of jogwheels on the Z2 are an issue for you, it'd probably be cheaper in the long run to get a Reloop Contour (which is VERY compact, width-wise), an analog mixer, and an Audio 4. The Audio 4 will fulfil your timecode needs, and you can use the Contour for MIDI control of all 4 decks (it also has a 10-out soundcard built in, just no inputs unfortunately), but that means if you're playing without your turntables, you don't need to take the Audio 4 with you.

The other alternative is to use a SINGLE turntable to control both decks, and use a MIDI mapping to switch timecode control on/off for each deck, so basically you can control Deck A with your turntable, hit a button and have it swap to controlling Deck B. You'd still need an Audio 4 for this, but it'd be a much more compact setup.

Alternatively, you could swap to VDJ or Mixxx, and use ANY input source in aggregate mode, even the line in of your PC/laptop, which eliminates the need for an external soundcard. OR, you could get a mixer with an audio interface built in, like a NOX404 or RMX-40, and do it that way.

EDIT: Hellnegative uses a Contour and an X1 alongside his TTs (in battle orientation):

EDIT2: Here's half of punkc's setup (has an S2 to the right of the Contour, but you get the idea:

Last edited by mdcdesign; 04-28-2013 at 02:10 AM.

Tech Guru

Believe it or not, people out there use turntables without the Reloop Contour too. The Contour is not relevant since it does not meet the description of "controller with timecode interface", and is less suitable for 2 decks of timecode compared to an X1.

The Z2, DJM T1, and Rane Sixty/SL series of mixers combine controller, timecode, and mixer into one. You can also easily add a timecode interface in order to use any mixer you like, and the X1 is a controller typically used by timecode users.
    Last edited by makar1; 04-28-2013 at 03:36 AM.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Quote Originally Posted by makar1 View Post
    Believe it or not, people out there use turntables without the Reloop Contour too. The Contour is not relevant since it does not meet the description of "controller with timecode interface", and is less suitable for 2 decks of timecode compared to an X1.

The Z2, DJM T1, and Rane Sixty/SL series of mixers combine controller, timecode, and mixer into one. You can also easily add a timecode interface in order to use any mixer you like, and the X1 is a controller typically used by timecode users.
    Sure they do, but he specifically said he wanted a way of mixing WITHOUT the TTs as well, and didn't feel that the Z2 would fit the bill despite having transport controls. I'm guessing his issue is lack of jogwheels, which none of the options you mentioned address, including the X1.

Plenty of people have added a Contour to their TT setup and enjoyed it, just giving the guy some options.

Anyway, going back to his original question; no, to my knowledge there aren't any other timecode-certified controllers on the market at the moment, unless you're happy switching packages to Mixxx or VDJ, in which case the VMS4, or some of the Hercules stuff (RMX2, for example) would fit the bill.

Thanks for the reply. The Z2 is okay, but not really what I'm going for. I guess I didn't make it clear in my post that I'm looking for the type of controller I can DJ with whether I have turntables/CDJs with me or not. I suppose you could remap the cue buttons to work as play, cue, etc.
    I definitely didn't grok that you wanted faux turntables in a addition to your turntables from your original post.

Play (internal) () and cue and such are all part of the Z2's out-of-the-box mapping.

To the rest of what you said, as someone who is also primarily a musician as opposed to a a DJ, if I was in a situation where I was without turntables, I probably wouldn't DJ.

If there were CDJs, I still might, but my set would be very different and I would worry about disappointing anyone who was exited to see and hear me (there aren't tens of thousands, so I can't let down the ones I have).

Tech Student

Thanks for all the input! I suppose an external audio interface would make things more flexible, especially as I'd be using it for occasional recordings as well. Plus it allows for easier upgrades down the line. A couple of Reloop Contours seem like a very attractive solution, and their price is pretty decent. Any thoughts on the Behringer CMD PL-1?

For now, I could use my Novation Zero to control the mixer and whatever else, but eventually I'd look into a portable controller/mixer that I could use independently or in tandem with whatever is available at the house party I happen to be at (something like the Behringer CMD MM-1 or a Xone mixer)

Another reason why this piecemeal idea works for me is that I'm on a pretty tight budget, so instead of saving up for one piece of gear that would do it all, I can just buy it one piece at a time and figure out my workflow as I build my setup. Besides, I like the fact that multiple pieces of gear can be rearranged depending on the available space.

BUT... I still think that the Numark 4TRAK is pretty damn sexy. It's not totally out of the equation

Tech Student

Quote Originally Posted by muffintop View Post
    The DJM T1 has play, cue, sync, 2fx units, auto loop, and 4 hotcues / deck built into a 2 channel mixer with a sound card, and traktor DVS support. That's as much, if not more, than what I use in a typical set.
    Damn, I didn't notice that until you pointed it out! So the DJM T1 would actually be a pretty good solution for starters, then combine it with a jogwheel controller or two in the future. It's a little more than I wanted to spend right away, but it looks like a lot of fun. Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast