Software Vs. Hardware
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Software Vs. Hardware

hey guys. ive been trying all this smart mixing stuff and its really crazy how much potential there is...but when it comes down to it.

what sounds better? hardware effects or software effects?

interested to hear what you guys think.

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

shitty hardware boxes sound like shit.

Shitty VST effects sound like shit.

It's gotten to the point where software effects/synths rival, and in some cases surpass, hardware effects/synths, at a much lower cost point. You are also not limited in the same ways with software as you are with hardware. As an example, looking strictly at Reason 4... the sheer number of ways you can modulate your oscillators in Thor is astounding.

With hardware you have, arguably, more reliable equipment when you pay the money. It isn't victim to as many variables as a computer is. But if you treat either one poorly it will fail, and if you treat either one well it will live on for a while.

At this point, for strict creation of music, I would say there is almost no need to go outside the box. For performance, that's a different story.

But it always is.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

I like to use software for monetary reasons. One program and shit ton of effects. Around the same money you can get hardware that will in the end... be limited.
    SyblingQ - Electro House for dark alleys.

You can get way more creative and fly with digital effects, they sound just as good too except you dont need 40 hands to do what you need to do

pretty much any hardware effect marketed to DJs is a digital effect these days which makes them a glorified plug-in . I am fairly certain what makes things sound better when Djing or producing is analog summing of a mixer . Which makes me want separate outputs for the effects in traktor now that I think about it

Quote Originally Posted by darrel855 View Post
    pretty much any hardware effect marketed to DJs is a digital effect these days which makes them a glorified plug-in . I am fairly certain what makes things sound better when Djing or producing is analog summing of a mixer . Which makes me want separate outputs for the effects in traktor now that I think about it
    Theres nothing wrong with digital summing... but your certainly right about them being glorified plugins, death to them all i say ! I want a midi kaoscilator that actually sends midi and therefor is useful for something

Quote Originally Posted by BentoSan View Post
    Theres nothing wrong with digital summing... but your certainly right about them being glorified plugins, death to them all i say ! I want a midi kaoscilator that actually sends midi and therefor is useful for something
    no not at all I think it sounds great . But I hate competing with the DJ before me who overloaded the volume way too much with their Serato . Not that I want to distort the volume but I wanna not appear to be the guy turning it down .

Quote Originally Posted by darrel855 View Post
    no not at all I think it sounds great . But I hate competing with the DJ before me who overloaded the volume way too much with their Serato . Not that I want to distort the volume but I wanna not appear to be the guy turning it down .
    Tell who ever is in charge of the system turn up the amp, thats what should be happening. Is it just me or do djs never actually ask this to happen ? Or am i missing something ? Overloading the decks is so not cool.

most places it's either the I'm playing with that handles the system or it's me . I'm notorious for turning down the outputs on the compressor when people push the mix too hard .

There's always some incongruity among different classes of musicians whenever technology encroaches on their turf. Coming from a guitar playing background, I can assure you that even 30-odd years since Jimi Hendrix whacked some Wah-Wah onto a screaming guitar solo, there are still purist guitarists who refuse to use any effects [digital or analogue] and disregard any guitar players that do make use of such effects.

I imagine that the DJ circle will operate in a comparable way. There will be those who consider turntables and analogue effects as being the only way to truely DJ while the rest of us are out making use of the new technology available to push the term 'DJ' into new and uncharted creative territory regardless of the type of gear we are using.
    17" MacBook Pro, 2.66 GHz i7, 4GB RAM; Vestax VCI-100, NI Audio Kontrol 1/ MBox Mini, M-Audio Oxygen 8, Beyerdynamic DT-150 cans; Pro Tools LE 8, Ableton Live 8, Logic Studio 9, Traktor Pro

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast