Noob question

Thread: Noob question

Default Noob question

Hey guys, I'm new to all this so please bare with me.

I recently bought my first piece of gear, but I'm having some trouble with it.

I bought the Pyle Pro PDJ450U, it's a rack mountable dual mp3/usb/sd player.

I just started fiddling with it today but some things are happening that I simply can't explain as to why.

I put some mp3's on a usb flash drive, stuck it in and began to play around with it. The functions all seem to work however the audio quality is quite poor and I can't figure out why. The tracks sound great from my computer to amp, but when I put those same tracks from my computer, onto a flash drive and try it on the unit(to the amp), the quality goes way down(it just sounds sort of thin, crackly, it's hard to explain, basically just like a low quality mp3). Am I doing something wrong here? I've tried a number of different tracks, different cables, so far nothing is fixing it. Any ideas? Thanks

Did you buy it used?

What flash drive are you using? Even though today almost any usb will suffice for digital djing with mp3s, yours may not be fast enough/ the player doesn't have enough buffer to completely load a song in it?
    It's just an EXTREMELY improbable situation..
    Did you buy it used? Did you check the gtound wire? Maybe the cables or interconnects are crap, tried any other output with any other cable?
    Quote Originally Posted by donstone View Post
    I only use VINYL flooring. Rugs are for cheaters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    If you can't find an Abba song that you like, you are a liar of the highest order.

Tech Guru

What have you wired the Pyle up to?
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Tech Mentor

I know it's probably a long shot but are your mp3s from some strange proprietary system like Serato Whitelabel?
    Countenance - (n). Appearance or expression. (v.) Admit or accept as possible.

Default Power supply

Thanks for your replies!

The unit is brand-new. I messed around with it a bit more last night and came to an interesting scenario.

First of all, I seem to have misplaced the original power adaptor. The unit requires(as it's stamped on the back) DC 12v 1A power supply. I managed to find a 12v adaptor that is AC/AC with an output of 12VAC 1200mA. I didn't realize until now that it's an AC/AC, to be honest I don't know the difference, but I'm assuming it's important to give it the correct current it needs.

I'm using 2 Verbatim 2gb usb flash drives.

After trying a few other things, here's what happened. When I have both usb's in the unit, the sound quality is diminished, if I unplug one of the usb's, the quality then goes up to what it should be, if I plug the other back in, it goes back down. I'm assuming it has something to do with the wrong power supply in that it can't run both usb's at the sametime(maybe the AC/AC to AC/DC issue)?

Again, sorry for the noob that is me with all of this, I'm hoping this is simply an issue with the power supply I've got. I'm assuming if I got an AC/DC 12v of 1a or higher, it should work perfectly right? To me that's the only thing that makes sense. I haven't tried the SD slots as I don't have a means of putting the files on one of those cards.

Is it ok to run a higher voltage power supply that is AC/DC? Or does it have to be 12v?

Thanks again for all your assistance.

Tech Mentor

That seems to make sense to be fair, it's the first thing you should try. If sound quality diminishes the more you have plugged in, then the first thing you should look at is whether the unit is getting enough power or not.
    Countenance - (n). Appearance or expression. (v.) Admit or accept as possible.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Muffin View Post
    I'm assuming if I got an AC/DC 12v of 1a or higher, it should work perfectly right?
    Yes, this is the only power supply you should use.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Quote Originally Posted by makar1 View Post
    Yes, this is the only power supply you should use.
    The Voltage MUST be correct, however you can use a higher Milliamp/Amp rating but not lower.

If you've fed a DC device with AC current, its probable you "might" have done severe damage already.