Selling my 1210s has reduced my mixing ...
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    sebastiannz

Default Selling my 1210s has reduced my mixing ...

I now mix only once a week and one of the reasons (not the only one) is that when I had my 1210s I think I was more inspired to mix compared to my current S4 + Laptop setup. The spinning platters combined with an actual mixer was more enticing compared to the buttons and jogwheel of the S4. I'm not sure it's all about the tactile nature of the 1210 either. The history, weight and asthetic beauty of the 1210s also helped. When I was mixing on 1210s I felt like I was part of a larger community. The S4 is popular sure, but the 1210s were like a real symbol of DJing.

I have still not had one person comment on my S4 setup, but almost everyone who saw my 1210s made a comment. Everyone knew what 1210s represented.

/end ramblings...

PS: I love my s4...but I thought this topic might generate some empathy - I know there are lots of people who've sold their 1210s to go digital

Tech Guru

No reason you can't go digital with the Technics

I'd get some if I had the money/space spare.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Tech Mentor

I LOVE my 1210's.

Just to rub it in:

Just go digital WITH 1210's...
    Technics 1210 mk2's, Pioneer CDJ 500, Allen & Heath DB4, NI F1's (x2), Reloop Contour Controller Edition, Sennheiser HD25 1-II or Allen & Heath XD2-53's depending on my mood...

Mixcloud : xs2man - Latest Mix: Latest Mix 13-10-2016

Tech Mentor

I haven't had TTs, but I know there's an easy way to make it digital with timecode. And if you don't like timecode I think there's this denon thing called SC-3900, i think, which has CD, USB and MIDI and a big platter!

PD: @xs2man 4 turntables? how do you do that? you don't get crazy or something? anyway it's a VERY nice setup!

Tech Guru

^ not the same

OP - I feel ya man. I've had tons of gear and the most enjoyment has always been on two 1200's. start saving up for some!
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

Yep. Same here. Since the 1210s are gone I don't enjoy mixing as much. Got an f1 and although it can be fun , the remix decks need so much preparation, i spend more time organising them than mixing
    Last edited by zimfella; 04-29-2013 at 01:47 AM.
    It's not the gear. It's how you use it.
    limitations are the source of creativity.
    If you don't practice you don't want it.

http://soundcloud.com/zimfella

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by sebastiannz View Post
    When I was mixing on 1210s I felt like I was part of a larger community. The S4 is popular sure, but the 1210s were like a real symbol of DJing.

I have still not had one person comment on my S4 setup, but almost everyone who saw my 1210s made a comment. Everyone knew what 1210s represented.

/end ramblings...

PS: I love my s4...but I thought this topic might generate some empathy - I know there are lots of people who've sold their 1210s to go digital
    I kinda feel the same way. I'm going the digital vinyl route - I miss the feel and the fine control. Not that you can't do that with a S4, but it just doesn't feel right to me using a non-spinning platter that is essentially just a MIDI encoder. Might as well use a knob, imo.

It's interesting how a simple turntable became a cultural relic. Maybe that has something to do with why it's so enticing. Maybe some more experienced DJs than myself could chime in on this.

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Or...... go digital and use 1210's and keep the S4... you don't need to choose.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post
    Or...... go digital and use 1210's and keep the S4... you don't need to choose.

Karlos, is that a Mac Mini ur using to run maschine and 'logic'??
    Technics 1210 mk2 Pair, Pioneer DJM600, Traktor Kontrol x1, NI Audio 6, NI Maschine Mikro MK2, MacBook 2009, iPad 2 with Traktor DJ, Pioneer HDJ-500, Shure M447's

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Yeah it was... but I sold it to buy a new Guitar FX processor.
    It was a wrench but I wasn't using it as much as I intended. Lovely machine but I just use a Macbook Pro now and hook it to the screens.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast