Live play back with F1 vs Maschine.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Live play back with F1 vs Maschine.

I need some opinions here concerning aforementioned kit in the thread title.

I've started to use maschine for creating loops/one shots and playing them back live on an input through on my S4.

Now, i love the fact that with Maschine you can tap out a beat and stuff as it comes into your head. Using it live in conjunction with traktor however i find it to be quite 'clunky' switching between the two. Having Maschine and traktor running and switching between the two on the same screen can be pretty awkward sometimes.

Is there an optimal set up that allows the Maschine to be used live (i was thinking an Ipad as a secondary screen to view maschine whilst using traktor with the mac) that im missing?

OR

Is an F1 possibly a better option that would obviously allow me to playback loops and material i've arranged beforehand with the Maschine. Iv'e tried using my MF3D to some effect, but found it's use quite limited with the volume faders for cutting bits out and the like.

Reason being, i'd really like to add a bit more of a live edge to my mixes, and dont want to drop a couple of hundred pounds on an F1, if i can achieve an equal result with maschine, all things considered.
    A+H DB4, Technics 1210's x2, F1, X1MK2 x2, MaschineMk2, Akai LPK 25, MF3D, XDJ-1000 x2.

If you want to play back loops you've already made as you DJ, there's nothing better than the F1. If you want to "finger drum" live while you DJ, Maschine is the way to go. The combo works really well; finish your beats in Maschine, drag them right into the remix decks, and trigger the loops live.

I've got a number of F1s and of course Maschines as well. I can suggest a couple of considerations.

Why are you looking at the Maschine software? I've never found a reason to look at it while playing out - the hardware has got everything.

It's possible to play patterns on Maschine (press play) as opposed to finger drumming. I think that remix decks are compelling but I've started to DJ with two instances of Maschine in addition to four remix decks, and I enjoy it. The scratch control on the remix decks is, to me, is the reason to use the F1.

Based on what you wrote in your original post, I'd recommend trying out the F1 for remix decks if you're a turntablist or otherwise love scratch control, but to try using Maschine's sequencer and play live with it in any case.

Quote Originally Posted by botstein View Post
    try using Maschine's sequencer and play live with it in any case.
    Do you have issues with midi sync when using Maschine's sequencer? I use Maschine to add live drums and sounds, but never anything I've sequenced in Maschine because of the constant need to re-sync.

Can maschine control the remix decks?
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

Cheers for the feedback guys! Im still looking at the maschine software out of lack of experience, and possibly because what im wanting to do is requiring a peek now and again. And i suppose it's a safety net! I've had a crack with the sequencer and i really like it for constructing Kicks/hi-hats/snares whilst making loops and the like but not much to do with actual live playback. Something to tinker with!

I think the F1 will be the next purchase as it seems to be the answer to my dilemma. The process from here will be to create loops/cut up tunes for samples etc in maschine in the 'studio' (Read-my desk!) and have the F1 as the playback feature in my setup, purely for its ease of use (that drag and drop feature is brilliant!) and its integration with traktor.

And as far as i can tell hellnagative, it can only be used so far as to control the top 4 rows of the decks, which is a bit of a kick in the teeth, as a mapping allowing it to control all aspects of the remix decks would of been great. But then i suppose it would put the F1 out of a job for all the Maschine users out there.
    A+H DB4, Technics 1210's x2, F1, X1MK2 x2, MaschineMk2, Akai LPK 25, MF3D, XDJ-1000 x2.

Quote Originally Posted by DubluW View Post
    Cheers for the feedback guys! Im still looking at the maschine software out of lack of experience, and possibly because what im wanting to do is requiring a peek now and again. And i suppose it's a safety net!
    This is really honest. I'm sure that you can find a way to control everything you need without looking at the software.

I've had a crack with the sequencer and i really like it for constructing Kicks/hi-hats/snares whilst making loops and the like but not much to do with actual live playback. Something to tinker with!
    It's fun. Long live Maschine!

I think the F1 will be the next purchase as it seems to be the answer to my dilemma. The process from here will be to create loops/cut up tunes for samples etc in maschine in the 'studio' (Read-my desk!) and have the F1 as the playback feature in my setup, purely for its ease of use (that drag and drop feature is brilliant!) and its integration with traktor.
    I'm sure you'll enjoy it. I like mine.

And as far as i can tell hellnagative, it can only be used so far as to control the top 4 rows of the decks, which is a bit of a kick in the teeth, as a mapping allowing it to control all aspects of the remix decks would of been great. But then i suppose it would put the F1 out of a job for all the Maschine users out there.
    This is an okay unauthorized upgrade mod that works for me - http://jigaudio.webs.com/apps/websto...s/show/3497067

Quote Originally Posted by jdownesbaird View Post
    Do you have issues with midi sync when using Maschine's sequencer?
    No, not really. I host Maschine instances in Ableton. I watch out when halving/doubling the tempo (148/74, etc) or when moving the tempo master with the pitch control on my 1200s, and I don't try to push and pull (the timecode record that might be) the tempo master too extremely in Scratch Pro if that is the origin of the 'signal path' (sync path?) from which the MIDI sync to Ableton is made.

Quote Originally Posted by jdownesbaird View Post
    I use Maschine to add live drums and sounds,
    I assume you mean that you play Maschine live. If you have some sort of live sampling / microphone situation with a drum set I want to hear more about that.

[QUOTE=jdownesbaird;613624...but never anything I've sequenced in Maschine because of the constant need to re-sync.[/QUOTE]

Does this have to do with your style/habits of mixing or performing? Are you tracks rushing and dragging or something?

Botstein! Good advice on messing around with the sequencer! Iv'e just discovered the ability to change the key of each pad in the sequencer. Basslines just got seriously bumpy!

Botstein! Good advice on messing around with the sequencer! Iv'e just discovered the ability to change the key of each pad in the sequencer. Basslines just got seriously bumpy!
    You are so welcome.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast