[House] short clip... honesty feed back is required
    Tech Wizard

Default short clip... honesty feed back is required

https://soundcloud.com/itsmezander/5-month

https://soundcloud.com/itsmezander/5...cation/s-NQ6pT

one of those should work

anyway, this is the start to a tune ive been working on for maybe 3 weeks on and off. everything was made in NI razor except for the percussion. im not super fond of the start, i think its a little bland, i like the way it starts to sound once it picks up again at the end though.

ive been working on actuall song production for about 2 months, using ableton live 9, and a m-audio 49 key midi controller.

please be honest as possible. any thoughts advice is extremely appreciated

I understand the whole structure of the track, but it lacks energy and groove. To improve the whole track, I suggest you..

# panning/stereo effects, delay effects on the upcoming synth around 0.30.
    # put some reverb on the openhat that chains with the kick, it makes it more exciting and more pumping.
    # some of the reversed kicks do not fit in really well, maybe lower volume. But I like them!
    # more uplifters! bring the fx up a bit and let them indicate when a new part comes in.

Keep up! I like this track and can't wait to hear more from you! I like the ideas of the track!

Cheers, PJ

Tech Wizard

okay cool, thank you lemme see what can do

Tech Wizard

any one else have any thoughts?

Tech Wizard

Let me have a listen and I'll type it out:

Last drum loop sounds like its been mastered already, which is good for you since your still learning. Use that one for sure.

The other uncanny stuff maybe you should put aside until your confident in what your drum sound is.

Can I ask you what kind of tracks your hoping to make? It sounds little bit Swedish House/Afrojack-ish or something at this point, not sure though.

I get your hook, but at least have two different parts of the song, think of it like this, EX. verse / chorus / break / chorus / verse / chorus.

Work on the sounds of what you want to play, then arrange your track accordingly. Most of your sounds should "fit" together musically.
    Last edited by scattrrbrain; 05-01-2013 at 05:39 PM.

Tech Mentor

The lead synth is really weak imo

Tech Wizard

Week how, like it doesn't have any luster?

The sound I'm going for is kinda dutch house, so I'm glad you got that vibe. The goal with this track is really to try and find a sound and also to complete a track and challenge myself.

I've made a few changes and made the track longer, like I said that was only the start, I really need feed back because I am still so new at production.

Some of the suggestions I didn't understand.

Scatter brain: what do you mean by uncanny stuff? Also 2 parts to the song? The one you listened to has one break down and one build into the second part of the song.

Thanks again, more ideas, thoughts, anything??

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Zander View Post
    Week how, like it doesn't have any luster?

The sound I'm going for is kinda dutch house, so I'm glad you got that vibe. The goal with this track is really to try and find a sound and also to complete a track and challenge myself.

I've made a few changes and made the track longer, like I said that was only the start, I really need feed back because I am still so new at production.

Some of the suggestions I didn't understand.

Scatter brain: what do you mean by uncanny stuff? Also 2 parts to the song? The one you listened to has one break down and one build into the second part of the song.

Thanks again, more ideas, thoughts, anything??
    Focus on your main ideas first then the structure, need not waste 20 hours learning how to pick out kicks if you are using prerecorded loops. Pick one and make your bass line. Since you like Dutch house, you need not have a clap or snare. Focus on synth melody, building and dropping the melody into a synth. Doing this will help you to create more than just that same synth sound over and over. Sounds like you should try and use the synth (razor) to jam around and come up with more melodies.

Tech Wizard

okay i get what your saying, lemme fiddle with this

im not using pre recorded loops, just the samples that come with live 9. i built everything on their using those samples.